The 'X' strikes back...

For some time I have been thinking about fashioning a tripod shooting rest mainly for use with a springer. On a visit to the UK two years ago I picked up a lightweight “travelling†photographic tripod from Aldi for under £20 (if I remember correctly). It’s been good for its intended purpose, but recently I adapted it for use as a rifle rest.

I got a friend to fabricate a small metal plate, drill the centre and put a female thread there to match the ‘male’ of the tripod. The permanent loan of a kitchen breadboard, borrowed when Mrs M wasn’t looking, provided a shooting platform costing me next to nothing.

Plinking time! I keep a collection of plastic and metal bottle tops for this – little gets thrown away in this household! Since the X has been laying unused in the rifle safe for a fortnight, ‘sulking’ after its forced ‘retirement’ from the bi-pod trials it was due a few hours in the limelight.

Bottle tops were ‘blu-tacked’ on to a suitable backstop at a lasered range of 45 yards. Since the target was on a 10 degree (approx) downward gradient from my shooting position I didn’t bother to alter my 35 yard zero.

I took some standing shots with my hand on the bread board and the rifle’s fore-end resting on the back of my hand. My ageing eyesight struggled a bit with the 4X scope and the smaller bottle tops but I got some hits. All in all, surprisingly good fun. Some pics:

ATB Chris

PS I forgot to photograph the bottle top targets (to be added later).

post-56337-0-58867400-1305563920_thumb.jpg

post-56337-0-31513900-1305563963_thumb.jpg

post-56337-0-73386900-1305564038_thumb.jpg

What about covering the hard board with a deeply padded cushion of some kind Chris? That would make a more comfortable, dampened support for your hand or forearm and increase your control with it. Looks good! :thumbs:

Simon