call out for pianoman

well mate swapped the tx .177 for the hw97k .22,so just afew questions if you dont mind .whats the best range to zero it in 25 yds or 30 yds.im using 14.5 grains.and would you set targets out at 5yd going up to 40yds to learn the basic trajectory.ill tell something else mate it feels a lot better balanced than the tx to .cant wait to start learning again .the pellets are alot easier to cope with to because of the old arthritis,any help with or tips off any guys on here who use .22 for hunting would be greatly appreciated thanks lads. :thumbs:

Hi hw97k.

First of all, congratulations on buying a proper spring rifle. It's one of the best there is in the world, so, if you can't hit with it, it's not your rifle's fault!! :thumbs:

The thing to do now is build a shooting relationship with your 97k, just get out and enjoy shooting with it, at targets and ranges you are comfortable with and get her to feel familiar and comfortable in your hands. There's no rush to put yourself under any pressure to perform great shots with it, straight off the bat.

Then, set a full day aside to establish the rifle's trajectory map. Where on the scope reticle, or mildots, your prefered pellet hits over a series of target ranges. Go from a basic centre-to-centre zero of 25 metres or yards ( I always use metres) and shoot from ten to fifty yards/metres. Making certain that your shot hits perfectly on the cross-hairs at 25 yards/metres every shot to begin with.

In the meantime, you can of course, zero the rifle at 25-30-35 yards or whatever your best hunting range is and work from that with your holdover/ holdunder on a few random target ranges and see where she's punching. Experience will tell you where a best-zero range for you will be.

I would recommend a Hawke 6-18x44 scope with an SR12 reticle, if you don't already use one, for it.

Using chairgun pro software correctly, this will enable you to put a .22 pellet from your rifle onto a target as small as a penny coin at 60 metres range, from a basic set-up of 25 metres. I've hit a penny off a stone with my HW77 at 50 metres range that was witnessed (and filmed) by two very proficient marksmen from this forum.

No reason why you cannot do the same with a rifle as good as the 97k mate. Get out and shoot with it and learn it's characteristics and trajectory path.

Anything you need to know meantime, just ask! :thumbs:

All the best with your new baby!

Simon

Edited by pianoman
  • Like 1

:thumbs:

Hi hw97k.

First of all, congratulations on buying a proper spring rifle. It's one of the best there is in the world, so, if you can't hit with it, it's not your rifle's fault!! :thumbs:

The thing to do now is build a shooting relationship with your 97k, just get out and enjoy shooting with it, at targets and ranges you are comfortable with and get her to feel familiar and comfortable in your hands. There's no rush to put yourself under any pressure to perform great shots with it, straight off the bat.

Then, set a full day aside to establish the rifle's trajectory map. Where on the scope reticle, or mildots, your prefered pellet hits over a series of target ranges. Go from a basic centre-to-centre zero of 25 metres or yards ( I always use metres) and shoot from ten to fifty yards/metres. Making certain that your shot hits perfectly on the cross-hairs at 25 yards/metres every shot to begin with.

In the meantime, you can of course, zero the rifle at 25-30-35 yards or whatever your best hunting range is and work from that with your holdover/ holdunder on a few random target ranges and see where she's punching. Experience will tell you where a best-zero range for you will be.

I would recommend a Hawke 6-18x44 scope with an SR12 reticle, if you don't already use one, for it.

Using chairgun pro software correctly, this will enable you to put a .22 pellet from your rifle onto a target as small as a penny coin at 60 metres range, from a basic set-up of 25 metres. I've hit a penny off a stone with my HW77 at 50 metres range that was witnessed (and filmed) by two very proficient marksmen from this forum.

No reason why you cannot do the same with a rifle as good as the 97k mate. Get out and shoot with it and learn it's characteristics and trajectory path.

Anything you need to know meantime, just ask! :thumbs:

All the best with your new baby!

Simon

:thumbs: thanks for that simon cant wait, much obliged mate,ill let you know how things develope practice practice practice .