Any advice on making elderflower wine as i am a novice to wine making.

Here you go mate. Mind you, the flowers aren't out yet, they'll be out in a few weeks probably but you don't pick them until they turn from white to yellowish. They are usually yellowish in mid May.

Elderflower wine - makes 1 demijohn (about 5-6 bottles)

In a giant saucepan - 2 lbs sugar, 6 pints water, juice of 2 lemons, bring to the boil and dissolve sugar.

Add 20-30 elderflowerheads and 1 tbsp wwvinegar. Simmer 20m.

Leave to cool until room temp.

Pour into demi john.

Add 1/2 tsp yeast and add the airlock.

Leave to ferment until bubbles stop (anytime from 1-6w).

Bottle using a siphoning tube, leaving the sediment behind.

Leave for at least 3m before drinking. Best drunk after 12m minimum, maybe 24m.

Yumyum. I got recipes for eveything under the sun, fruit/veg/plant/flower wine. Let me know how it goes or if you want any other recipes....

Edited by Tomm Parr

Any advice on making elderflower wine as i am a novice to wine making.

Here you go mate. Mind you, the flowers aren't out yet, they'll be out in a few weeks probably but you don't pick them until they turn from white to yellowish. They are usually yellowish in mid May.

Elderflower wine - makes 1 demijohn (about 5-6 bottles)

In a giant saucepan - 2 lbs sugar, 6 pints water, juice of 2 lemons, bring to the boil and dissolve sugar.

Add 20-30 elderflowerheads and 1 tbsp wwvinegar. Simmer 20m.

Leave to cool until room temp.

Pour into demi john.

Add 1/2 tsp yeast and add the airlock.

Leave to ferment until bubbles stop (anytime from 1-6w).

Bottle using a siphoning tube, leaving the sediment behind.

Leave for at least 3m before drinking. Best drunk after 12m minimum, maybe 24m.

Yumyum. I got recipes for eveything under the sun, fruit/veg/plant/flower wine. Let me know how it goes or if you want any other recipes....

Thanks that sounds pretty easy and do you have one for elderberry as well please.

I sure do. Don't pick them until late September/October when they are juicy. The flowers that you don't use for elderflower wine turn into the berries you need for Elderberry wine.

Elderberry wine - Makes 1 demijohn (5-6 bottles)

saucepan - 2 and 1/2 lb berries, 1 pints water. simmer 20m. strain through sieve into demijohn.

saucepan2 - 2 and 1/2 lb sugar, 2 pints water, stir regularly for 20m, til dissolved. pour into demijohn.

Top up the dj with water.

Cool to room temp. Add yeast and airlock.

Ferment till bubbles stop (anytime from 1-6w).

Siphon into bottles. Leave for 12m for best results but okay after 3m if you can wait.

Shame you are up in the frozen Arctic wastes :D , or i'd suggest a home brew swap later in the year. :blink:

Edited by Tomm Parr

I sure do. Don't pick them until late September/October when they are juicy. The flowers that you don't use for elderflower wine turn into the berries you need for Elderberry wine.

Elderberry wine - Makes 1 demijohn (5-6 bottles)

saucepan - 2 and 1/2 lb berries, 1 pints water. simmer 20m. strain through sieve into demijohn.

saucepan2 - 2 and 1/2 lb sugar, 2 pints water, stir regularly for 20m, til dissolved. pour into demijohn.

Top up the dj with water.

Cool to room temp. Add yeast and airlock.

Ferment till bubbles stop (anytime from 1-6w).

Siphon into bottles. Leave for 12m for best results but okay after 3m if you can wait.

Shame you are up in the frozen Arctic wastes :D , or i'd suggest a home brew swap later in the year. :blink:

My dad says thanks for the recipes and is sorry he cant reply himself because he has been banned because of idiots on the ferret forum winding him up. He would love to try your wine and say i can keep you posted on how he is doing.

There are 2 different types of elderflower ...there's sweet and there's rank ...make sure you get the sweet

Some of it smells like cats piss. I prefer to only use that for the wine I make for christmas presents. :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

I made 5 gallon that did just that ended up throwing it all away (i followed a recipe of hugh fearlessly eats it all)but he wouldn't have drunk that