Mixed Fortunes

Was out friday night for over 4 hrs and never even chambered a round we had seen 6 foxes but none presented a shot :wallbash: .Off out again last night and got a charlie within 5 minutes ,as soon as I shone the lamp on the first field 2 sets of eyes shone back my mate followed the 1 that ran into the quarry which eventually stopped not far short of the 150 yd mark so of went a 100 gr federal which hit home with a dull thud (this fox would have to be left to the morning as its hazardess in the quarry at the best of times never mind at night) a quick scan of the field showed the other charlie was still there but no shot was on as the next field was full of sheep and there was no safe angle :wallbash: .Another 2 were seen on this farm but no shots on so of we went to try another few farms the first not even showing an eye and on the way to the next the dreaded fog fell and the night was called to an early end .My mate went down today with the dogs just to confirm the kill and even in daylight couldnt get within 50 yds of the charlie to take a photo because the banking that it lay was all shingle with a pond below so it was only a visual confirmation and charlie had obliged by lying against a rock so that he stood out abit(thankfully :boogie: ).

A good write up,at least you are getting shots, foxes around here now are very jumpy one shine of the light and Charlie doing a supersonic get away.

That's why I went down the nv route, but when you are used to picking them out half a mile away with a lamp it's kinda hard work scanning open mountain with the nv and being sure there isn't anything there, you just want to get the lamp out to make sure you haven't missed one.