Water????

Lads many thanks for the previous advice regarding the pup, her training is coming along fine and am looking forward to bringing her onto the next step when the time is right.

I have a question that you may be able to help me with?

Water: She would never go near it, she would always run around it rather that get her feet wet. But… in the past two weeks she has taken to going in knee deep, should I allow her to proceed at her own pace????

This is all new to me regarding having a springer, so would like to get it right first time round.

post-3848-0-39103300-1299169979_thumb.jpg

Lads many thanks for the previous advice regarding the pup, her training is coming along fine and am looking forward to bringing her onto the next step when the time is right.

Water: She would never go near it, she would always run around it rather that get her feet wet. But… in the past two weeks she has taken to going in knee deep, should I allow her to proceed at her own pace????

This is all new to me regarding having a springer, so would like to get it right first time round.

hi mate let her take her time with water you can try a dummy not to far as you might need to reach it that is what i done with my lab he loves the water now cheers mike

[/quote

Have you got another dog you can go with so she can follow it in? Some love it right away some dont. Dont force her in and small shallow retrieves are the way forward..... :thumbs:

wait until it gets warmer,then make a game of it and go in yourself in the shallows once in the dog will think its fun dont force it though you could make the dog frightened :thumbdown:

you are right there i got 2 pups of 9 months old and trying to keep them out of water is inposable evan in the bad cold we had before christmas mine were in it most of the time by the time i got them home the fur was frozen and all i have done is let them do what they want the day you force then thats it

Treat water as an obstacle to the retrieve, not as a different type of retrieve and so always send the dog over the water not into it. After all you didn't learn to swim by being asked to jump into the deep end of the pool. Start with a marked retrieve over small shallow stream then gradually increase the width and depth alternating with blinds and marks. Do not over face the dog as it may start to squeak or, if the water is deep, to shake before it presents so be prepared to go back to the shallow bit. Always keep in mind that it is the retrieve itself that is paramount and do not accept poor presentation, dropping the dummy or shaking, I teach the dog to shake on command after the retrieve. Once you start on deeper water try to encourage the dog to make a gentle entry rather than hurling itself in. Show the dog that the dummy will be carried away by moving water in a river or by wind on a lake.

Treat water as an obstacle to the retrieve, not as a different type of retrieve and so always send the dog over the water not into it. After all you didn't learn to swim by being asked to jump into the deep end of the pool. Start with a marked retrieve over small shallow stream then gradually increase the width and depth alternating with blinds and marks. Do not over face the dog as it may start to squeak or, if the water is deep, to shake before it presents so be prepared to go back to the shallow bit. Always keep in mind that it is the retrieve itself that is paramount and do not accept poor presentation, dropping the dummy or shaking, I teach the dog to shake on command after the retrieve. Once you start on deeper water try to encourage the dog to make a gentle entry rather than hurling itself in. Show the dog that the dummy will be carried away by moving water in a river or by wind on a lake.

Thanks for the info, speaking of the Dummy, how can I stop her from dropping it before she presents???

Can anyone give me a method to help her present the dummy without dropping it.

Thanks

John

Get down on your knees and plenty praise.....still does it then walk away from her and take it when she is following you.... :thumbs: