Wildfowling law

Hi all

After many years contemplating wildfowling i have decided that this year i will apply for my certs and purchase my first gun. I'm currently a serving member of the armed forces and posted in Germany so would only be able to get out and shoot for a couple a weekends in the season whilst on leave. For this reason i feel it would not be cost effective to join a club until i am posted back to the UK.

After reading "The BSAC Wildfowlers Code of Conduct" which states:

"In England and Wales the B.A.S.C has an agreement with the Crown Estate Commissioners giving B.A.S.C. members defence against prosecution for carrying guns on the Crown foreshore. You need permission to shoot on private foreshore. The onus is on the wildfowler to establish whether the foreshore is private. Access and egress must be by public right of way unless otherwise authorised."

Am i reading into this correctly to the fact that if i become a member of BSAC and establish that the foreshore i wish to shoot on is not private I am within the law to shoot wildfowl without being the member of a club?

Any advice would be gratefully received

Danny

"WILDFOWLING AND THE LAW

England and Wales

In England and Wales the foreshore is that part of the seashore which is more often than not covered by the flux and reflux of the four ordinary tides occuring midway between springs and neaps. The foreshore may be in crown or private ownership. In England and Wales the B.A.S.C has an agreement with the Crown Estate Commissioners giving B.A.S.C. members defence against prosecution for carrying guns on the Crown foreshore. You need permission to shoot on private foreshore. The onus is on the wildfowler to establish whether the foreshore is private. Access and egress must be by public right of way unless otherwise authorised."

Interesting stuff, reads to me that as long as your a BASC member, you can shoot on crown foreshore. Is this really the case? If so, I'll join in the morning!!

John

As far as I known there is practically nowhere in England that has free public foreshore shooting. There maybe some public foreshore but going there with a shotgun is in practice a different matter. There are some places where it is more possible in scotland but the local knowledge of how and when to shoot not only successfully but in saftey is often difficult to access. Wildfowling has in past decades been often abused and any local access to free fowling is often closely gaurded.

The best way is to simply join a club, you sound like you dont think it will be worth joining for just a couple of weeks but how much is it really going to cost, clubs are often really cheap and if you explain that your away in the services then I bet they can find a member willing to take you out and help you get in the right place at the right time in safty. Wildfowling often takes a lot of effort to study tides and flightlines so expecting to just get back and head onto the marsh is likely to only be met with failure and disapointment. Really whats £100 and odd quid when you could be recieving news letters to let you know whats going on when your away plus basc membership is often included. Remember some also have waiting lists so get joined up asap.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps some clubs allow members to have guests. All the clubs/ leases I belong to these many years and currently allow this. We are always open to invite our soldiers that are home on leave as guests. In fact, our waterfowling orgs regularly hold veterans hunts with hunting, trap shooting mid day, and a good lunch. I would like think a club that doesn't allow guests, might consider a reduced membership fee, even with the number of hunting days restricted to something workable. Extending our sport to those who serve in foreign lands for us is a worthy thing.

• Like 1

Perhaps some clubs allow members to have guests. All the clubs/ leases I belong to these many years and currently allow this. We are always open to invite our soldiers that are home on leave as guests. In fact, our waterfowling orgs regularly hold veterans hunts with hunting, trap shooting mid day, and a good lunch. I would like think a club that doesn't allow guests, might consider a reduced membership fee, even with the number of hunting days restricted to something workable. Extending our sport to those who serve in foreign lands for us is a worthy thing.

well said mate

well said mate

What a very good idea :yes::yes::thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

well said mate

What a very good idea :yes::yes::thumbs:

Heres a link to our Wounded Warrior Project. It is nationwide, but can be as humble as you home town.

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,840/

Heres a link to a local Game Farm that held a fund raiser for Wounded Warriors. I volunteered that day doing photography. One of the best things I was ever involved in. Something warm to watch a soldier, loading his shotgun with a prosthetic hand as quick as he can, to be ready for the next pheasant. Guys who went through so much, just wanting normalcy in their lives again, back home.

http://www.rosehillgamepreserve.com/events/fotwf/