New permision - Good start!

Hi All ...

I finalized some new permision last week on a sheep farm up the road from me.

Basically its alot of ex MOD land, all grassy fields with clumps of tree's dotted around.

Although i asked about foxing on this land, i was only allowed to ferret as he has a friend who has first dibs on the foxes.

Anyway, i arranged with a couple of my mates to meet up at 0800 this morning and head down to the sheep farm.

We hadn't really walked around it much so it was a day more about getting to know the place with a bit of oppotunist ferreting on the way round.

The first warren we came across was a big, 52 holer, next to a clump of blackthorn. We netted it up and put down 3 ferrets, after a cold and blowy 2 hours, we decided to head further down the valley where it was abit more sheltered.

With only 3 rabbits in the bag, we were hoping to have better luck further down.

The next one we came to was another big one. 43 holes this time. It was alot more sheltered here and had some nice trees around us offering us even more protection from the wind.

This one was soon netted up and the ferrets were put it.

Within 20 mins we had 4 more in the bag. 2 clean bolts, and 2 that had hit the net, and tried to go back down, but had back-netted which was lucky.

After a bit of a lull in the action, we were just about thinking about moving on again when one bolted from an un-seen hole :doh: .

With this one quickly netted, we were spured on to stay here abit longer.

After a bit of a wait, i located the ferrets down one end of the warren where i could hear a bit of action below ground. 2 mins later 2 more bolted, these were bleeding from the eyes a bit so the ferrets had obviously caught up with them.

There was no more action after these 2, so we packed up, had a fag and decided to have a mooch round to try and find a few for next time.

It was a great day out, not the best in terms of number of rabbits, but was great to be on some fresh land for a change!

Gutted i didn't take the camera but will make sure i do next time! :thumbs:

Thanks for reading..

Andy.