gamegoer gundogs

hi i have 2 cocker spaniels one is 5 and the other 8months. was thinking about going to have some training lessons at gamegoers gundogs in heathfield oxfordshire. the guy that runs it is called graham watkins. anybody know if he is any good?? thanks becky

try to do your best training it yourself,youll get a lot more satisfaction out of it and every dog is a learning experience.(train them one at a time),from what ive seen of cockers they seem frantic to please their owners.

hi i have 2 cocker spaniels one is 5 and the other 8months. was thinking about going to have some training lessons at gamegoers gundogs in heathfield oxfordshire. the guy that runs it is called graham watkins. anybody know if he is any good?? thanks becky

try to do your best training it yourself,youll get a lot more satisfaction out of it and every dog is a learning experience.(train them one at a time),from what ive seen of cockers they seem frantic to please their owners.

I wouldn't waste your money with the 5 year old........pup would thrive probably though... :thumbs:

i have been training them myself. just wanted some help. like the pup is really good at recall and sit. really good at retrieving a tennis ball. and now i have been puting her on a lead and throwing the ball into rough ground and sending her in to get it. shes great snffs it out in know time tail wagging the whole time. ive got her started on dummys now so she can get used to somethng that weighs more than a tennis ball. she brings it back to hand. i can throw 2 in different places and she will go in and get them. just i dont know what and when to do the next thing. dont know how to get her on the stop whistle or how to make her turn on the whistle. she comes back if i pip pip pip. basically ive never trained a gundog before so feel i need some direction. also pup is just having her first season and she seems to have changed a little bit. seems grumpy and a little stubborn.

my older cocker spaniel has been beating before but is a little shy around gunfire so stays quite close. but when im out on a walk and there are pheasants about she tends to not listen to me very much. and charge around flushing pheasants all over the place :no: nightmare. she is a naughty. when there are no pheasants shes is the best behaved dog ever.

i have been training them myself. just wanted some help. like the pup is really good at recall and sit. really good at retrieving a tennis ball. and now i have been puting her on a lead and throwing the ball into rough ground and sending her in to get it. shes great snffs it out in know time tail wagging the whole time. ive got her started on dummys now so she can get used to somethng that weighs more than a tennis ball. she brings it back to hand. i can throw 2 in different places and she will go in and get them. just i dont know what and when to do the next thing. dont know how to get her on the stop whistle or how to make her turn on the whistle. she comes back if i pip pip pip. basically ive never trained a gundog before so feel i need some direction. also pup is just having her first season and she seems to have changed a little bit. seems grumpy and a little stubborn.

my older cocker spaniel has been beating before but is a little shy around gunfire so stays quite close. but when im out on a walk and there are pheasants about she tends to not listen to me very much. and charge around flushing pheasants all over the place :no: nightmare. she is a naughty. when there are no pheasants shes is the best behaved dog ever.

Obviously the older dogs recall isn't good around scents....i'd be suprised if you could change that now and really would it be wotrh it. I'd keep my concentration fixed on getting it right with the pup, basics sound good so far... :thumbs:

A couple of lessons on where to go now i think would be a good idea and a step in the right direction to get a 100% steady working cocker......atb :thumbs:

I wouldn't waste your money with the 5 year old........pup would thrive probably though... :thumbs:

the 5 year old is the mother and shes ok really. only goes beating. just wondered if i could brush up on her obedience when shes on a walk when there are pheasanst about. dont want to get told off for her chasing all the birds away.

the 5 year old is the mother and shes ok really. only goes beating. just wondered if i could brush up on her obedience when shes on a walk when there are pheasanst about. dont want to get told off for her chasing all the birds away.

You could try it....i think you'll be pulling your hair out but have a go. I'd put it on a lead and let it off when the drive cant be ruined. :thumbs:

You could try it....i think you'll be pulling your hair out but have a go. I'd put it on a lead and let it off when the drive cant be ruined. :thumbs:

actually she is steady on a shoot. she doesnt go far from me at all because shes a bit worried of the guns. so thats a good thing. its just when on a walk. i do put her on a lead sometimes because the more she runs around the more excted she gets and the less she listens to me!! even if i put her on a lead for 10, 15 mins and then let her off she is a bit calmer. just wish i didnt have to do that.

Obviously the older dogs recall isn't good around scents....i'd be suprised if you could change that now and really would it be wotrh it. I'd keep my concentration fixed on getting it right with the pup, basics sound good so far... :thumbs:

A couple of lessons on where to go now i think would be a good idea and a step in the right direction to get a 100% steady working cocker......atb :thumbs:

i want the pup to be perfect, :) im going to try my best, dont want to make any mistakes with her at all.

It sounds like you have started your pup fine. The stop whistle is probably the most important command, then the turn whistle. Keith Erlandson's books are very good or Ian Openshaw's videos. There's no harm in getting a few pointers from a pro. he could suggest a few things.