help with one permission

hi all,

i've cycled past a big pig farm many times and can't help but think how many rats there will be in there. i've tried hanging around the gate for a while but havent really seen anyone around although i know it active as you can hear the pigs and i often see different cars parked inside the gate. should i leave a note there on the gate as whoever owns the pig farm dosent have his house on the premisis (i think) which is unusual. i always prefer to talk face to face as leaving a note dosent give the same effect, especially since im 14 most people dismiss the note as a yob with a gun no matter how politely i write it.

ATB

Aaron.

Hi mate, my advice (take it or leave it) would be not to leave a note, chances are it'll never get to the right person. I would keep cycling by until you find someone there, then i would probably approach them along with your dad/ uncle/ older brother etc, obviously make sure you're dressed smart and talk politely. The reason i say take an adult is because like it or not, the vast majority would think that having a 14yr old kid running round their back garden with a gun at all times of the day and night a bit scary! I assume thats not what you would do but it would be peoples first concern, whereas going with an adult for the first few times and showing that you're responsible, honest, reliable, trustworthy and can do a decent job will build the trust you need to be able to go it alone.

Like i said just an opinion.

Good luck.

Is there a name to the pig farm ? Look it up in the yellow pages.

Local butcher, nip in & ask if the pork is from a local farm ?

Same with local farm shops.

Is there a farm supply shop local, the farmer may well buy supplies from there.

Get names if you can first, better to say hello is that Mick or mr Brown rather than 'ello is that the pig farmer.

Mention pest control rather than got any rats need shooting mate.

As you'r peddling around the lanes if you see any one out in their gardens stop for a chat.

Nice flowers, what dog is that leading to do you know the pig farmer, that will be a lead as well when you talk to the farmer, "talking to Mary - Joe, Mr Smith" will help to make you a known friendly person in the area.

Does any houses / cottages have signs outside, veg eggs flowers for sale.

Sometimes It's not what you know but who you know, even if you don't know anyone you can make it sound like you do.

Good luck.

Oh yes, when you see cars inside the gate peddle home like a maniac & get an adult (as mentioned before) to drive you down, go through the gate, grab the opertunity, if locked climb over but be very vocal shouting hello any one here & don't look like your snooping.

Edited by theinvisiblescarecrow
  • 3 weeks later...

hi aaron,my names brad also from south wales :) just wondering what area are you from ? im 15 got an air arms s410c and 60 odd acres of permission. just getting back into hunting and shooting and would be happy for you to join me once i get some practice in pal :)

cheers and atb :)

brad.