Silver Pigeon S

Hi All

I,ve recently bought a Silver Pigeon S with 1/4 & 1/2

fixed chokes and barrel selector. It explains in the

literature about the selector but does'nt say which barrel

is 1/4 or 1/2.

Does anybody out there know which is which?

Cheers

As atf say - O/U guns are generally fired bottom barrel first so the tighter choke will always be in the top.

I have the same gun with the same chokes and I love it - I always used to tell myself that a multichoke would be better but I knew deep down that I would end up sticking 1/4 & 1/2 in and never changing them! I use it for everything but its a game variant (non vented barrels) and it did get a bit hot at our syndicate clay days in the summer!

An "over and under" should really be called an "under and over"! They are always set to fire the bottom barrel first unless the shooter overrides the setting, just as a side by side always fires the left barrel first. The first barrel has less choke for the close bird or clay, the second barrel is choked tighter for the longer range. Hence the expression "a left and a right" leaning to drop a close bird with the left and a bird flying away with the right.

Edited by RicW

Im new to this shooting lark, I shoot over and under, always have the tighter choke in the top barrel but I shoot top barrel first, my reasoning being if I miss with the first barrel the second barrel (bottom) will have a wider spread of shot so I get it.

I guess im doing it the wrong way around!! Ill start shooting bottom first!

An "over and under" should really be called an "under and over"! They are always set to fire the bottom barrel first unless the shooter overrides the setting, just as a side by side always fires the left barrel first. The first barrel has less choke for the close bird or clay, the second barrel is choked tighter for the longer range. Hence the expression "a left and a right" leaning to drop a close bird with the left and a bird flying away with the right.

I think it's right barrel- front trigger, left barrel left trigger, or at least that's what mine does, (hence right and left)

in answer as others have said, usually bottom first then top with the barrel selector to the left, I have the top go first as with the beretta, it does tend to want to shut up a bit, so having top go first gives me much more room to reload and get my pinkies in there if I only fire one shot.

DB - you may well be right, or should I say correct to avoid confusion, about SBS. Point stands about stack-barrel guns tho! I don't have much experience with smooth-bores, but I always assumed that you fired the more open choke barrel, the first one set to fire, at the closer bird, and the tighter choke at the further one.

I know a very rude joke about this, but p'raps not at Xmas!