ferret to hole ratio

Hi, I hope everyone is enjoying the weather. shame it's a bit hard to run the dogs my way. Quick question, how many ferrets do you work in ration to how many holes there are. I only ask after having a little think that someone must have worked out a good ratio. I know it also depends on how deep the burrow is etc, but just want to get a rough idea of weather people flood the warren with ferrets or not?

ATB Mike

Like you say it all depends on how deep etc the warren is, you get to know the warrens if you've been there before, and know what works to start with. However saying that i'd probably be happy putting one jill down up to about 20 holes and above 20 two down. 30/40 holes Probably 3 maybe 4. Although sometimes the rabbits just dont want to bolt and so this goes out of the window and i often use 2 jills in 10 holers. The other day we had 2/3 down a 1 holer although thats obviously not ideal, but we wanted that f****r dead. :angel:

Hi, I hope everyone is enjoying the weather. shame it's a bit hard to run the dogs my way. Quick question, how many ferrets do you work in ration to how many holes there are. I only ask after having a little think that someone must have worked out a good ratio. I know it also depends on how deep the burrow is etc, but just want to get a rough idea of weather people flood the warren with ferrets or not?

ATB Mike

use your loaf its not that hard

I agree it all comes down to personal experience and calibre of the ferrets etc. But I was say one ferret to 10-20 holes is a good ratio.

Sorry Selsey lamper. Didn't realise your the ferret guru mate. If you have nothing constructive to say then donn't say anything.

ATB Mike

i have permission where the rabbits just wont bolt the buggers creep out and one ferret means they just run around playing hide and seek. this land sees an awful lot of human activity so this must affect the rabbits decision to bolt, (Well its all i can think of) but without at least two ferrets in even 5 holers i wouldnt see much sport