bsa airsporter

hi all i have had my airsporter for a bit naw and have not shot much 1 or 2 bunnys i wont to get a new scope and lamp for it but i dont wont to spend on it if its not any good for hunting with it seems ok but i am more into the runing dogs and dont no alot about air guns i have had air gun be for but neve hunted with them woth do you all think of the bsa airsporter an an hunting air gun

post-15230-0-45635200-1290361460_thumb.jpg

all the airsporters we had manny years ago were very low on power even when tune`d. we hunted with them though as they were good in there day but never got the results i get these days with more modern rifles.

close range hunting shouldent be a problem but if you can get the rifle over the chrono and just see what power its kicking out. if its never been tamped with i would guess it could be anywere around 8 to 10 ftlbs. if your lucky and its nearer 11ftlbs then its just as powerful as most modern air rifles.

accuracy is the key! even a low powerd air rifle is capable of hunting if you can put the pellet in the right spot and keep to responsible ranges.

Can't speak for the standard Airsporters or Mercuy's ft/lbs but I know the "S" models was singing very close to the 12ft/lbs limit. had them both in the late 70's - 80's and both had plenty of power and accuracy to get the job done.

A pal had a standard Mercury in .177 knocking out BSA Pylarm pellets around 800'ish fps! I saw this gun account for many pigeons and squirrels in its time, as jenky said! shot placement is everything if you have enough power to do the job.

Jasper

hi mate i have shot to rabbits at abaut 20 yards head shots and killed them but what are they like for accuracy thanks

only you can answer that.

you need to practice with your rifle on a range and see how accurate YOU are with the rifle. try a few different types of pellets and see which shoot the best.

try rws super domes

crossman prem`s

H&N ftt

old BSA rifle used to love the old eley wasp 5.6mm pellets but i believe these are now a different pellet as they changed them and there now quite poor quality.

there are a huge amount of pellets you can try, these are my favorite to try first.

what ever range you can place every pellet in a nice head sized group is the range you can shoot live quarry at.

your air rifle could more then likely cleanly kill a rabbit at 40 yards if you can hit it in the right place.

wind also affects the pellet as it travels threw the air as well as shooting up or down hill and you wont learn about the affect each thing has on your shooting untill you do lots of practice to find out.

good luck mate and good hunting!

Edited by rapidjenky