Another 1st

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Yeppers, it's a Treecreeper alright. And aren't they Great? :D When I was a youngster, I had the privalidge of being sat in a derelict shed, in the middle of an old, abbandoned Mink Farm. I glanced out the broken window right next to my face and there was a 'Creeper, working his way up and down and around an Elder bough, not even two foot from my face! Never forgotten that.

They're about, Moll. People just don't see them because they don't notice something not much bigger than a Wood Mouse as it skittles about, spiralling up and down a branch. Spot one though and - as ye likely found there - they tend to provide good oppertunities for observation.

I've seen two or three here, so far. That's inside of nine months. But I'd still consider one in each few months nice going :)

They actually nest inside a breaking away bit of bark. Good a reason as any not to smash up any half rotten bits of tree ye may have around ~ apart from the obvious insect life such provides for. And they make nest boxes for them too. Basic design is a long, very narrow " V " with a tiny hole at the top.

Tree Creeper nesting in ye own box? Now that would be a treat! :good:

They are one of my favourite birds, creeping about all over the place. They spiral up a tree before flying to the bottom of the next tree and starting all over again. Watched them nesting on a few occasions and i find that they like loose bark rather than nest boxes. The boxes only get used if a more suitable place cannot be found. They roost behind loose flaps of bark too. spent many hours watching these birds and hope to photograph some this spring. :clapper:

theres several good spots localy for birds of all sorts ,a good few old orchards localy there havens for small wild birds , saw tree creepers several times but my fav is when your on the river and you see kingfishers lovly birds

goodluck in finding some of these mr darcy,as ive heard it takes a good birder to find there nests :yes::victory:

messer..i photograph them every year :yes: i will give you a few tips on what signs to look out for next year. The piccy i would really like is one of all the young birds fledging at the same time. But i bet it wouldnt be easy! :clapper: