Springer turning into a lurcher

Hello All,

Im hoping you lads can help me. I have a 13 month old springer dog that is my first working dog,,, Yes im probly the worlds worst trainer but this is my problem.

Hes very good at flushing and picking up and not gun shy however when i first slip his lead he has started to take off like a lurcher on speed, when he retrieves anything he brings it to me sits and waits for me to take it from him ,,,,,,, then hes off after a second pick up even when there isnt one.. A kick back from this is that his kennel mate ( 12m/o bitch ) is following his lead.

The only reason i can think of that may have bought this on is that ive just recovered from a few weeks illness and my 10y/o grandaughter and her friend have been walking both dogs for me,,,, havent a clue what they may have been teaching them.

Thank you, Sidelock

Hello All,

Im hoping you lads can help me. I have a 13 month old springer dog that is my first working dog,,, Yes im probly the worlds worst trainer but this is my problem.

Hes very good at flushing and picking up and not gun shy however when i first slip his lead he has started to take off like a lurcher on speed, when he retrieves anything he brings it to me sits and waits for me to take it from him ,,,,,,, then hes off after a second pick up even when there isnt one.. A kick back from this is that his kennel mate ( 12m/o bitch ) is following his lead.

The only reason i can think of that may have bought this on is that ive just recovered from a few weeks illness and my 10y/o grandaughter and her friend have been walking both dogs for me,,,, havent a clue what they may have been teaching them.

Thank you, Sidelock

time for at bit of back to basics mate get out with the dummy just you and the dog. get the dog to sit and throw the dummy keep the dog sitting and pick the dummy youself do this a good few time sound like the young un have just been throwing the dummy/ ball watever repeatedly as soon as he brings it back and not making him wait for the retreive command. and dont take the 2 out together. try asking rickyspiringer on here for some advice as he is the spaniel man. in future if the youngsters have to exercise the dogs tell them to keep them on the lead.

cheers hope this helps.

atb Steve

Thanks Steve, Ill give Richy a shout, im not the greatest of trainers so any and all help is gretefuly received

Hello All,

Thank you, Sidelock

time for at bit of back to basics mate get out with the dummy just you and the dog. get the dog to sit and throw the dummy keep the dog sitting and pick the dummy youself do this a good few time sound like the young un have just been throwing the dummy/ ball watever repeatedly as soon as he brings it back and not making him wait for the retreive command. and dont take the 2 out together. try asking rickyspiringer on here for some advice as he is the spaniel man. in future if the youngsters have to exercise the dogs tell them to keep them on the lead.

cheers hope this helps.

atb Steve