Thinking of buying a pup just dont no what breeding to go for?

Looking at buying my first dog but unsure of the breeding to go for! Want a dog which is good for rabbits an maybe sumet a bit bigger? Was thinking greyhound 3/4 bit a bull but i like the deerhounds breed to just want a dog around 26''! any ideas?

hi mate, i got a bull greyhound for sale. retrives rabbits and is good for bigger stuff aswell. only geting rid of the dog due to it fighting with my other dog. they are not geting along at all and since the other dog has been here longest, hes the one whats got to stay.

Looking at buying my first dog but unsure of the breeding to go for! Want a dog which is good for rabbits an maybe sumet a bit bigger? Was thinking greyhound 3/4 bit a bull but i like the deerhounds breed to just want a dog around 26''! any ideas?

hi mate, i got a bull greyhound for sale. retrives rabbits and is good for bigger stuff aswell. only geting rid of the dog due to it fighting with my other dog. they are not geting along at all and since the other dog has been here longest, hes the one whats got to stay.

surprise surprise, eh the A TEAM selling dogs :whistling:

Before this post gets filled up with the usual idiots falling out, i will give you my advice, if it's worth it.. this is only my opinion. Firstly, there is no SUPER CROSS out there. People who have a good dog (for them), will sing it's praises until morning come- going out with them you will usually pick faults that the owner doesn't see! so listen to no-one about their own dog. BY THE WAY, MINE IS THE BEST IN THE WORLD... HA HA.. I have a beddo grey X saluki grey which is showing good promise at 9 month old. 24" to shoulder, a fine looker if i fancy showing. I would say that for a first dog, bull crosses can be a bit hard to handle, despite what certain owners say.. you want a layed back type, and i think a little smaller than the 27" you're after. The lad earlier that mentioned the collie X or beddo X... good advice. I think a first cross of either to a nice greyhound would be ideal. The right BREEDING and it will do anything you want, from ferreting to fox etc etc.. and you should consider something around 24 or 25 inch max (in my opinion). That's my advice anyway, so good luck and PLEASE DON'T DO TOO MUCH WITH A YOUNG DOG THIS SEASON.. IT'S A SURE WAY OF ENDING UP WITH A WRONG-UN.. :thumbs:

• Like 1

if theres any decent lurcher lads you know in your area get yourself out with them offer to carry that usually works lol watch and learn for a season next season you should have a good idea what you need rather than what you want and probably chance of dog from decent breeding as with all things in life you get what you pay for and theres no garauntees good breeding is only small percentage the rest is up to you .your decision but i would hang back from buying dog till you do a bit

if theres any decent lurcher lads you know in your area get yourself out with them offer to carry that usually works lol watch and learn for a season next season you should have a good idea what you need rather than what you want and probably chance of dog from decent breeding as with all things in life you get what you pay for and theres no garauntees good breeding is only small percentage the rest is up to you .your decision but i would hang back from buying dog till you do a bit

some good advice there lad,if you can't get out with anyone,do alot of reading up ect,as matty said hang of till next year,i know you are keen to get out,but with the proper dog and training you will have many happy years hunting,atb whatever you do,cheers......john:thumbs:

I have had dogs all my life but never a lurcher until just recently.

About 30 years ago a friend of a friend had a 1st cross bed/whippet. I watched this dog for 2 or 3 seasons. It did everything that was asked of it, ferreting, lamping, mooching, beating, picking up (saw it retrieve a canada goose 400 yards out on the foreshore) and it would take foxes without too much trouble.

I could never have a lurcher then, always had working collies for the sheep and cattle and always felt a lurcher would be a bloody nuisance round the livestock. Got a quad bike a few years ago so when the last collie went I didnt replace her but got a lurcher instead.

Remembering that 1st cross from years ago decided a bedlington bred lurcher was the one for me. Couldnt find a 1st cross that I liked but someone recommended a litter of bed/whip/greyhound X bed/whip/greyhound. Bought a bitch pup last november. She was a year old last friday and is shaping up quite well.

Moral of the story...

Decide what you want,

Look for a litter of that breeding, that you like.

Dont let anyone talk you into having the 1st pup you see (unless thats the one you want)

Dont rush into having a lurcher if you're not ready for one. Too many people get something totally unsuitable and theres another one " For sale 8 month lurcher, Takes all quarry, day or night" :whistling: