Lure machine enquiry

Hi everyone. I am using a lure machine which is just simply a starter motor etc. I am just wondering what battery to use. I have used batteries designed for lamping but these are not powerful enough and can not get enough runs from then. And I have also used car batteries, and these are way too powerful. They are way to fast for the dog. They hold enough charge. Can anyone recommend a battery that would be better suited, my friend said a leaisure battery would be good. Are they any electricians on here who could tell me what I could use? Apparantly the speed is dictated by the ohms? Any information would be gratefully received.

ATB Mike

Hi everyone. I am using a lure machine which is just simply a starter motor etc. I am just wondering what battery to use. I have used batteries designed for lamping but these are not powerful enough and can not get enough runs from then. And I have also used car batteries, and these are way too powerful. They are way to fast for the dog. They hold enough charge. Can anyone recommend a battery that would be better suited, my friend said a leaisure battery would be good. Are they any electricians on here who could tell me what I could use? Apparantly the speed is dictated by the ohms? Any information would be gratefully received.

ATB Mike

ATV batteries

I take it you're just letting the motor run constantly then?

If the battery you are using will not run the machine up to full speed, stop using it - you will damage the battery and the motor.

The starter motor is the most power consuming part of a car and the battery is spec'd to suit the current draw, a car battery is the only battery that can supply the power required.

You need either some form of speed control or a switch to pulse the motor (the latter is the norm as a solenoid and 50p push to make switch is far cheaper than a raft of solid state electronics or a HUGE resisor bank).

The downside to pulsing the power is that the line snatches and doesn't spool onto the reel neatly, I'm trying to come up with a solution to this issue myself using some form of damper on the line before the reel.

Cheers for that lerk. The lure is running to fast. I want it sitting nicely in fron of there noses. I am sure there is a solution some where, just dont wanna spend a fortune on it. I agree that a switch or something to change the speed is a great idea. Just trying to make it easy and cheap. If I come up with a good design I will let you know.

ATB Mike

mike you need to put a soliniod on it and wire a push button switch to it that way you can use your car battery and regulate the speed by pressing the button this way you can keep the lure right on the dogs nose if you have any problems let me know