New Arrivals

Took delivery of 2 JRTs from a "good working line" this afternoon. They're 9 months old and seem to be settling into their palatial run very well. Will wait a few weeks before I show them any rats or rabbits, build a bit of trust between us first.

They've not been worked so far so I'd be grateful of any tips on how to take the first steps with them. I'd like to do it right first time!

Any constructive advice welcomed. Pics will follow as soon as I get them off my phone

If they have never been worked before then your best to give them an easy catch on the first Hunt & give them plenty of praise aswel, that then lets them know exactly what you want from them. All the best mate!! :thumbs:

Rey

Would you recommend starting them on rats, small rabbits or something else? Should I take them out together or one at a time? I'd thought about trying to find someone nearby who's taking their terrier ratting and seeing if I could tag along, wouldthat be a good start or are they likely to get over excited and distract the other dogs?

If you can let them Rag a few Rats & Rabbits after a more experienced Dog has finished with them, that would be a good start. After that i would suggest to let them have a go for themselves (Whether it be rats or rabbits).

if you can get hold of someone who is going Ratting then tagging along would be a good idea. keep the dogs leashed for a wee bit so they can watch and see a few rats run. then let them off to have a go, once they see a rat/rabbit run they shouldnt focus on other dogs. its up to you whether to take them out alone or together, whatever works best. but if you want to work them together then your probs best start them together aswel. All the best with them Sam!! :thumbs: hope i was of some help. ;)

Rey :big_boss:

If you can let them Rag a few Rats & Rabbits after a more experienced Dog has finished with them, that would be a good start. After that i would suggest to let them have a go for themselves (Whether it be rats or rabbits).

if you can get hold of someone who is going Ratting then tagging along would be a good idea. keep the dogs leashed for a wee bit so they can watch and see a few rats run. then let them off to have a go, once they see a rat/rabbit run they shouldnt focus on other dogs. its up to you whether to take them out alone or together, whatever works best. but if you want to work them together then your probs best start them together aswel. All the best with them Sam!! :thumbs: hope i was of some help. ;)

Rey :big_boss:

Yes indeed you were. Thankyou!

get them straight onto the rats if you have access to them, they are old enough now. if you decide to take them out together make sure they are past the puppyish stage as they will spend all day chasing each other around and not much time watching what is going on.

By the age of them they should be past that phase but if you take them out and they do chase each other it may be an idea to alternate them on different days or leave one in the box for a bit and swap them over. Once they get a taste they will focus more and you will be able to put them together again.

get them straight onto the rats if you have access to them, they are old enough now. if you decide to take them out together make sure they are past the puppyish stage as they will spend all day chasing each other around and not much time watching what is going on.

By the age of them they should be past that phase but if you take them out and they do chase each other it may be an idea to alternate them on different days or leave one in the box for a bit and swap them over. Once they get a taste they will focus more and you will be able to put them together again.

Took them up to my permission today but didn't let them after anything. They're past the puppy chasing each other stage which is good... We had a walk round the fields (on the lead), spent a couple of hours helping the farmer sure up some fencing (off the lead, they stayed close and amused themselves following their noses but didn't find anything) then went for a walk up the woods again following their noses.

Definitely want to get them onto rats asap. I know of someone not so far away who goes but its a bit early in the season I think. Will drop him a text and see what he says.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Theyre into everything! Took them out on the moors yesterday and they spent 4 hours diving in and out of bushes, following their noses and chasing anything that moves! Great fun to watch and they always come back to a whistle. They discovered a couple of rabbit warrens in the depths of some gorse and seemed to get very excited. Thankfully they were quiet about it lol!

Still working on the ratting but there are a lot of farms round here so shouldn't be too hard!

if you get a good ratting place,give me a shout and ill come and show you how its done,im not far from you :whistling:

Well... I have one place in mind. They're a small farm and they rescue a lot of animals. They're forever out with an air rifle taking pot-shots at the buggers :gunsmilie:

I wouldn't like to turn up there in huge numbers but maybe my two and another one or two should be fine. How far away are you?