ZEROING .17 HMR

I WENT TO CHECK MY ZERO ,THE DAY AFTER JUST SPRAYING BARREL WITH WATER REPELLANT SPRAY ,DUE TO GETTING THE GUN DAMP AND MY POI WAS ALL OVER THE PLACE.I THOUGHT THE SCOPE WAS BROKEN,AS I HAD NOT BUMPED THE GUN.AFTER RE-CHECKING THE GUN THE DAY AFTER THE INITIAL CHECK THE POI WAS ALMOST EXACTLY AS IT WAS BEFORE CLEANING.HAS ANYONE NOTICED AFTER CLEANING THEIR HMR THAT THEIR POI IS OUT AND RETURNS TO NORMAL AFTER A COUPLE OF SHOTS.IN MY CASE ABOUT 6.ANY REPLIES GRATEFULLY RECEIVED.

very much so, there is an on going debate on cleaning or not cleaning the hmr. in your case it was different as the reason was spraying after getting the rifle wet. like mentioned always run a few swabs through the barrel before hunting with it to remove excess oil. it could take about 4-5 shots to bring the poi back after cleaning etc

keith

Did you pull the barrel through to remove excess spray before you fired it? Any foreign substance in the barrel can cause wayward shots until it's cleared out!

I DID NOT PULL THE BARREL THROUGH AFTER AS I THOUGHT IT WOULD DISSIPATE.MY MISTAKE.HOPEFULLY I WILL NOT MAKE IT AGAIN.THANKS FOR YOUR HELP JUST GLAD THAT IT WAS NOT MY SCOPE AS I FIRST THOUGHT.

OH SPEAK UP I CAN'T HEAR YOU! :D

you should really push a couple of dry patches through the bore to clear any solvent out before you fire it, that'll probably be the cause, I clean my HMR each and every time I use it, as it's effectively the same as a CF rifle shooting copper jacketed bullets, I just use a patch with a tiny amount of oil on it and push that through after I've finished cleaning and the first shot it's on target, I don't find it has to be "shot in" again after cleaning.

• 3 weeks later...