How far away do rabbits need to be from you when you're setting a net?

StephOC

I have a 50 yard long net which I have never used at night. I have practiced setting it a couple of times in the day and it seems ok. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but wondered how far away the rabbits normally are when you are trying to set up a long net?

I am hoping to try a long strip of grass about 120m, 40m wide. The warren is amongst some trees at one end, and the rabbits feed further along the strip. There is a wall on one side so they can't go there and whenever I go after dark, they do all run into burrows under the trees (maybe about 12 rabbits). From what I've read, this seems like it would be ok.

However, there are usually a few rabbits within about 25m of the burrows and I'm worried that these will warn the others that are further along the strip. So I'd like to ask if this is normal? Are there usually some rabbits close to the burrows where you are setting nets up or is this a bad place to start?

Thanks for your replies...I guess I'll maybe just have a go and see what happens but would apreciate any advise.

I have a 50 yard long net which I have never used at night. I have practiced setting it a couple of times in the day and it seems ok. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but wondered how far away the rabbits normally are when you are trying to set up a long net?

I am hoping to try a long strip of grass about 120m, 40m wide. The warren is amongst some trees at one end, and the rabbits feed further along the strip. There is a wall on one side so they can't go there and whenever I go after dark, they do all run into burrows under the trees (maybe about 12 rabbits). From what I've read, this seems like it would be ok.

However, there are usually a few rabbits within about 25m of the burrows and I'm worried that these will warn the others that are further along the strip. So I'd like to ask if this is normal? Are there usually some rabbits close to the burrows where you are setting nets up or is this a bad place to start?

Thanks for your replies...I guess I'll maybe just have a go and see what happens but would apreciate any advise.

hi good on you for trying night netting, i dont know how far away rabbits are from me when ime netting its dark, but i would be looking to set the net about 2-5yards from the headge if the wind is blowing into the net and its a good wind then as long as you are silent then the rabbits wont bolt and if you set the net as you go, then any that do bolt will still be traped by the set net even if you havent finished setting, however with the wind we have up here its rarely perfect so it may be blowing along the net this is ok as long as its blowing to the already set part of the net where you have been not where your going.

if you are setting and you hear thumping then yhey have herd you and will most likely be away home.

all the best keep us posted.

hi good on you for trying night netting, i dont know how far away rabbits are from me when ime netting its dark, but i would be looking to set the net about 2-5yards from the headge if the wind is blowing into the net and its a good wind then as long as you are silent then the rabbits wont bolt and if you set the net as you go, then any that do bolt will still be traped by the set net even if you havent finished setting, however with the wind we have up here its rarely perfect so it may be blowing along the net this is ok as long as its blowing to the already set part of the net where you have been not where your going.

if you are setting and you hear thumping then yhey have herd you and will most likely be away home.

all the best keep us posted.

There is some good advice there. The only thing I could add to that is, it is not a race to get the net out you will catch more by going slow and steady than you will by rushing to get the net out. The idea is not to panic the rabbits. As stated above, once they start thumping you might as well go home. Often I have only had 10 yards of net out and the rabbits are hitting it already, they will squat even pretty close to the net till you have passed, then make for home. If you rush at setting the net you are more likely to panic the rabbits close to the net.

good luck.

TC

Thank you for your replies - sounds quite positive. I'm really suprised to hear that they'll bolt for home even if you're only a few feet from them - maybe I have some hope then?

I don't really expect to catch any somehow, but will be as quiet as I can and post how it goes.

Thank you for your replies - sounds quite positive. I'm really suprised to hear that they'll bolt for home even if you're only a few feet from them - maybe I have some hope then?

I don't really expect to catch any somehow, but will be as quiet as I can and post how it goes.

an old freind called bob merit once told me" you and a mate put blind folds on and one set a net within 3ft of the other if he cant here you the rabbits wont eather"

good luck

an old freind called bob merit once told me" you and a mate put blind folds on and one set a net within 3ft of the other if he cant here you the rabbits wont eather"

good luck

could that possibly Bob Merrin the mole catcher from Whitehaven :whistling:

Y.I.S Leeview

indeed, that man has shown me a lot, and others too a man from anuther time. how do you know him

I'm from the same time and another place.:tongue2:

Y.I.S Leeview

Spot on Leeview. ;)

Edited by tiercel

indeed, that man has shown me a lot, and others too a man from anuther time. how do you know him

I'm from the same time and another planet.:tongue2:

Y.I.S Leeview

Spot on Leeview. ;)

Cheers tiercel and your closing in on us fast :thumbs:

Y.I.S Leeview

Well I had a go the other night, didn't catch any. There was a bit of a breeze but a bright moon and it wasn't very dark. It clearly wasn't the best night, but as said previously, I didn't expect to catch anything.

It is really hard to be quiet! I think the rabbits knew I was there, I tried to be quiet but could sometimes make out their ears further up the field and they seemed to be looking at me. I like to think that I was quiet enough not to panic them, but in reality, they probably could see what a rubbish job I was doing and that's why they weren't scared! I guess they all ran around it?

I did manage to set and collect the net in without any fuss - I tried doing this once last summer, (before reading from peg-to-peg)and spent AGES getting all tangled up and frustrated! I am therefore quite pleased with myself, I didn't expect to learn this overnight (well, I did when I bought the net) but I'm not intimidated by it anymore and am confident it won't spend another year sitting in a bag in the shed!

That said, I would hope to have a photograph of at least one token dead bunny in the not too distant future.

Well I had a go the other night, didn't catch any. There was a bit of a breeze but a bright moon and it wasn't very dark. It clearly wasn't the best night, but as said previously, I didn't expect to catch anything.

It is really hard to be quiet! I think the rabbits knew I was there, I tried to be quiet but could sometimes make out their ears further up the field and they seemed to be looking at me. I like to think that I was quiet enough not to panic them, but in reality, they probably could see what a rubbish job I was doing and that's why they weren't scared! I guess they all ran around it?

I did manage to set and collect the net in without any fuss - I tried doing this once last summer, (before reading from peg-to-peg)and spent AGES getting all tangled up and frustrated! I am therefore quite pleased with myself, I didn't expect to learn this overnight (well, I did when I bought the net) but I'm not intimidated by it anymore and am confident it won't spend another year sitting in a bag in the shed!

That said, I would hope to have a photograph of at least one token dead bunny in the not too distant future.

Good Luck keep at it and dont give up :thumbs:

Y.I.S Leeview