As requested

Nice one Al. I remember years ago I used to see a couple of them over at Reid's and one was the standard type, kind of compact and very, very guardy to the point of excluding other family members and the other looked to me as if it had been crossed. Shorter haired, rangier and a lot taller...although I was assured it was pure. Is there much variation within the breed? I spoke to a lady who lived in Hong Kong a while back and she was involved with them, and she moved back to Ireland, bringing a few with her. The ones she kept weren't as exagerrated as some you see over here and I was assured they were true representatives of the breed.

Gus is more of the recognised "standard" example of the breed. The more recent ones I think are very similar to the one that used to be on the telly and have been exploited by being more of a fashion accessory, loads of wrinkly skin and problems, than being owned for a genuine reason.

They are by nature a herding/guard dog and Gus displays this continually, that said, he is always "working" and everything he catches is brought back for us.

What you said about guarding, I have Rotties for this job, well I did have until we discovered Gus's talents, he is more than capable of taking this to the extreme :icon_eek: . I don't tell people that he might bite them, I can guarantee them that if I don't introduce them to him, he will draw blood instantly.

He is the best dog I have ever owned and I have had a few. To see him with children, is amazing and he is the only dog that hasn't had to be taught to share with us, we can take food from his mouth if we ask and he usually brings everything for us to try anyway.

His immediate family and surroundings are his priority and anyone thinking of approaching one, should always think about that first, God help anyone who'd dare challenge one of these.............Al :thumbs-up:

Whats the temperament like Al? Had 4 or 5 come to training classes and all have been dog aggressive and a little touchy with people?

Cheers

Simon

Yep you've described them in one Simon. I was told I'd have major problems with him and the Rotties and if I'm honest, I can show you the scars I have got from one encounter when the Rotties decieded to kill him :icon_eek: .

This was down to my own stupid fault of getting involved, our Rottie bitch is very dominant and is second in command to me and I should have told her to sort it, this has always worked since and now we have four really happy dogs that all get on.

Touchy with people is right in their nature and everyone who come into our yard or house has to be introduced to him. The Rotties will give you enough warnings, Gus, well he will just attack :icon_eek: .

One funny thing was when we were having a new kitchen fitted and one of the guys said after I'd shown him to Gus "I don't fecking like him", well Gus waited for three days then bit him on the thigh. The bloke had been all over the Rotties and had completely ignored Gus, bit of a mistake I'd say. When I say funny, the guy was about six foot four with plenty to say and at the time gus wasn't a year old :11: .............Al :thumbs-up:

B)-->

QUOTE(Dawn B @ Nov 24 2006, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is he a cross? doesnt look like a pedigree Pei, not being disrespectful, just interested.

Dawn.

He's the genuine article Dawn, thanks for the interest, that's not being disrespectful at all..........Al :thumbs-up: ( I won't tell him though :icon_eek: )