cumbria tragedy

Perhaps you could PM me that trick of not losing a suspect/offender. would come in awful useful and I'd be the only copper in the UK to know it. Or you could keep quiet about something you clearly know nothing about.

What would you have unarmed officers do in the face of this situation?

As already explained by JonathanL this is because the general public and most police officers do not know what they are looking at. Nor would you expect them to. It can be difficult enough to have someone distinguish between rifle and shotgun. The scope normally gives it away. Stress often leads to hyperbole. Therefore not really surprising that the descriptions sound dramatic.

Blaming anyone but Mr Bird is just clutching at straws of who to make the scapegoat.

Put it this way, if you were in a police car and you saw someone walking around with a shotgun and or a rifle with sights and your only experience of firearms was what you had seen on TV, knowing full well your body armour isn't going to protect you from the shot, would you be the brave hero and attempt to reason or stop him?

The only option I can see for the police was to ram the vehicle he was in, even then you are risking more lives if you misjudge and miss his vehicle.

He was a legal firearm/shotgun certificate holder who went off the rails for whatever reason, no one could have ever known what was going on in his mind, in fact from what he is described, he was a very reasonable candidate to possess firearms.

Well since it would be my job if i was in a police car then i would have made sure i would not have lost him and clearly showed the armed response where he was...........how do you loose a mad gunman!! :wallbash:

So in amongst everyone shouting and screaming, cars driving around you, people running in the road, you expect to be able to keep tabs on one man in a plethora of streets.

Need to think in real terms not in terms of emotions.

Thread locked, as it will only degrade from here.