from dummys to dead game advice please??

hi, i have an 11month old lab bitch. she retreives very well on dummys and also on dummys with both old and fresh rabbit coats and dummys with wings attatched. i tryed her on a fresh rabbit this morning and she went out for the retreive, took one sniff then carryied on hunting. i tryed a couple more times resulting in a failed retreive. does anybody have any advice? im at a bit of a stand still with this one.

atb speedy

for some reason i'v found that some dogs can be a bit funny with rabbits, try the bitch with some feather first, probably be pigeon this time of year if so it will help to put in inside something like an old pair of the mrs stockings or tights or summit, i know that sounds daft but it helps the dog carry it correctly for the first couple of times, or just try coaxing the dog with the rabbit and small retrieves to start off with.

can also help to send another dog for the rabbit if she doesnt lift it

atb

gerron

Edited by gerron

hi, i have an 11month old lab bitch. she retreives very well on dummys and also on dummys with both old and fresh rabbit coats and dummys with wings attatched. i tryed her on a fresh rabbit this morning and she went out for the retreive, took one sniff then carryied on hunting. i tryed a couple more times resulting in a failed retreive. does anybody have any advice? im at a bit of a stand still with this one.

atb speedy

dont use pigeon on a young dog feathers arnt right could put dog off for life. get a experienced dog send it for the rabbit a couple of times then try urs it works a treat atb

cheers lads il try sort something out, i think the feather inside a stocking 1 could work well. and i have heard trying a feather retreive early on could be bad news but inside a stocking would simulate a dummy but with the scent.....

atb scotty

why not try covering the dummies with rabbit fur and wings??? Get them used to this and it's only a small step onto the real thing. It worked for a staffy :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

hi, i have an 11month old lab bitch. she retreives very well on dummys and also on dummys with both old and fresh rabbit coats and dummys with wings attatched.

as said in my initail post tryed. but do not fear i have mastered the dead game retreives. tricked her into retreiving a fresh rabbit. little bit of reverse phsycology. on working on some quartering i was walking over and placing a dummy rtather than chucking it. and on dropping a dummy i swithed it for a young bunny. walked back top my post and sent her on. when she found the rabbit she hesitated but i geeeed her up with the good dog good dog, she picked it up a few times and i upped the praise. she brought it back ,, plenty of praise now she knows its good to bring back rabbits. next stage working on feather as that is primaraly what she will be doing is flushing a nd retreiving grouse and pheasant.

7 to 8 year ago i trained two staffs, one was a slim bitch that was a cracking dog for short range rabbeting and bushing the other was a crackin little gun dog.

atb scotty

Edited by speedy87