stock refinishing

i have just bought a aya yoeman with pistol grip and beavertail forend that's a bit battered on the wood but the metalwork is pristine. iv stripped all the varnish off and wet towel and ironed all the dinks out the wood. iv just got two days drying time and then glass papering the stock. then I'm applying the birchwood casey finishing kit. has anyone done this? what was the Finnish like and any tips? atb tomb

i have just bought a aya yoeman with pistol grip and beavertail forend that's a bit battered on the wood but the metalwork is pristine. iv stripped all the varnish off and wet towel and ironed all the dinks out the wood. iv just got two days drying time and then glass papering the stock. then I'm applying the birchwood casey finishing kit. has anyone done this? what was the Finnish like and any tips? atb tomb

From your mail I can read that you have a good understanding of wood and what is required to get a pleasing finish. I think you will find the Birchwood finish comes up short of your expectations. Having done a good job of prepping the woodwork, I would first raise the grain and then fine flat, apply a good sanding sealer and finish with an oil finish. There are 2 good ones readily available from gun shops: Rapid Oil is, in my opinion, the best off the shelf. It takes longer to apply, and more work than the quick fix Casey product but I am sure you will enjoy the finish.

Should you want to have a quick chat about you project please give me a call........ Sage at UK Gun Repairs.

Good luck.

thanks sage. i have now got my stock bare and as smooth as glass. i got a birchwood casey refinishing kit on its way. just been talking with my mate about the kit, he says his came up loads better than the factory Finnish. i been searching this site for stock refinishing posts but no one seems interested, i cant understand why - it seems a great way to rejuvenate an old favorite from the cabinet into great condition.