Measuring your dog.

Everyone is always quoting their dogs height to the shoulder, and weight, however no one ever mentions their dogs length. As far as i am aware (and i could be wrong) - Speed = length of stride x frequency of stride which would mean that a dogs speed would be directly affected by its length, as well as fitness, feeding, height, weight etc.

So what i was hoping was to get some idea of comparison by people putting up their dogs breed, height, weight AND length. Would be interesting to see what differing lengths dogs of the similar height/weight could be.

I'm guessing you would just measure back length from base of neck to start of tail.

atb

Jai.

Speed (meters per second) = Distance (meters) / Time (seconds)

so if your dog has a greater stride then the lager the distance he travells in that time so faster he is.

i think :blink::tongue2:

Yep - thats what i was trying to put into dog terms.

Edited by Ideation

so if your dog has a greater stride then the lager the distance he travells in that time so faster he is.

Doesn't work that way, or else a long 28" greyhound would be faster than a shorter coupled 25" greyhound, and as we all know, this isn't allways so.

Cheers.

Guest blitz

Doesn't work that way, or else a long 28" greyhound would be faster than a shorter coupled 25" greyhound, and as we all know, this isn't allways so.

Cheers.

i,ve seen some short coupled dogs destroy a long 28 inch dog over 100 yards its when the big dog gets in his stride he should take it.some people like big long dogs for there terrain but up here in cumbria anything over 26 inch can,t get opened up cause the fields are to small.

Cheers.

i,ve seen some short coupled dogs destroy a long 28 inch dog over 100 yards its when the big dog gets in his stride he should take it.some people like big long dogs for there terrain but up here in cumbria anything over 26 inch can,t get opened up cause the fields are to small.

I think you're right! A short coupled dog will do better in sprints and running on small land, but I don't think that was the origional question. A long backed dog MAY get up to a faster speed, but circumstances may decide otherwise when running quarry. Nevertheless, I still like to see a long back on a running dog.

Cheers.

Cheers.

I think you're right! A short coupled dog will do better in sprints and running on small land, but I don't think that was the origional question. A long backed dog MAY get up to a faster speed, but circumstances may decide otherwise when running quarry. Nevertheless, I still like to see a long back on a running dog.

Cheers.

if you think about it though if you have a small whippet runnin next to a big lurcher the whippet is going to look like its going a lot faster because its moving its legs a lot quiker. but the lurcher might me doing one stride as the whippet does two strides but they wil have travelled the same distance. thats probably why a small dog looks like its going faster than a big dog.

Everyone is always quoting their dogs height to the shoulder, and weight, however no one ever mentions their dogs length. As far as i am aware (and i could be wrong) - Speed = length of stride x frequency of stride which would mean that a dogs speed would be directly affected by its length, as well as fitness, feeding, height, weight etc.

So what i was hoping was to get some idea of comparison by people putting up their dogs breed, height, weight AND length. Would be interesting to see what differing lengths dogs of the similar height/weight could be.

I'm guessing you would just measure back length from base of neck to start of tail.

atb

Jai.

heres one mate, my dog is 25.5tts he wieghs 64 pound his back length is 23.5" he is alsation/collie X whippet/greyhound.

not a lover of short coupled dogs as speed and stamina comes from bigger strides with less movement had big dogs and small ler dogs no faster but at the end of the day the dog who doesnt struggle to get there lasts longer were the little whippety type sometimes never gets there or has to use alot of energy , i wouldnt be worried to much but qaulity ie fast parents no matter what type throw fast pups , bred a few and they through fast ,short coupled saluk types are good at turning but not pacy for some places same with terrier type ,long back bred of pacy dopgs with abrain will always win hands down for me

Cheers.

Cheers.

if you think about it though if you have a small whippet runnin next to a big lurcher the whippet is going to look like its going a lot faster because its moving its legs a lot quiker. but the lurcher might me doing one stride as the whippet does two strides but they wil have travelled the same distance. thats probably why a small dog looks like its going faster than a big dog.

Mate, you're right ! I have a 23" bitch and a 29" bitch, and when they are running together the little'uns legs look like a blur, but the big'un looks like she is loping ! I run Delta, (23"), with Bruce, (27"), and they look like they are running at different speeds, but they still get up to the quarry at the same time !

Cheers.

atb

Jai.

heres one mate, my dog is 25.5tts he wieghs 64 pound his back length is 23.5" he is alsation/collie X whippet/greyhound.

Cheers matey!

Everyone else - fascinating discussion, i guess the only way really would be to get a lot of dogs and race them and try and work out some kind of pattern - although i think there would be too many other factors.

Interesting though . . . .

Length of back is important for flexibilty and in turn that increases stride length. Of course these things are proportional and it's not a matter of longer is better but you would expect a running dog to have a decent length of back. What confuses me about certain crosses (like Huskies) is that they generally have short, flat, rigid backs because their conformation isn't for running it's for strength. It's also something to look for in Bull crosses because some (not all) lines of Bulls have short backs and that's not ideal for a running dog.

Edited by hogdog