i've got to have a .17 rifle!!!!

i have recently gained over 1200 acres of land for pigeon and rabbit control. witch is amazing. what i did not expect was a trip out last night with the farm chargehand with his rifle. i think it was a .17 hmr is it\? i'm not sure. this was my first time out with a rifle. i have fired one befor and i am well aware of how far they can go. but JESUS!!! i have really been missing out. i got the impression this is a small rifle and by the look of the bullets it was. after a quick target practise to get to grips we were off in the truck for what seemed like miles. great to have so much land. in the first field within ten minutes i have already beaten my best. nailed at least ten!!! i think i managed to pull off a shot at around 130 yrds. i've had alot of practise with my air rifle befor but this thing was amazing. i have to get a fac now! that is it i have the bug!

here are a couple just befor i skin them! notice the blood on hand from the previously skinned rabbits. have just ate them around ten mins ago. lovely stuff!! o and we ended on around 25 i think. i was so exited i lost count... ha ha

post-50370-127421253557.jpg

yes mate sort your self a rifle out, apply for your fac but remember go for the .17hmr because i had a .22rf first and had to get my vairiation within a few months to get a .17hmr because i fired one and got the bug for one, so i went for the savage and what a great gun on a calm day i had rabbit out at 220yrds with a bi-pod go for it dont delay apply today, good luck mate.

yes mate sort your self a rifle out, apply for your fac but remember go for the .17hmr because i had a .22rf first and had to get my vairiation within a few months to get a .17hmr because i fired one and got the bug for one, so i went for the savage and what a great gun on a calm day i had rabbit out at 220yrds with a bi-pod go for it dont delay apply today, good luck mate.

i would put down for both. it wont cost you anymore ! well intill it comes to buying the rifles

Ive got a .17 hmr its a cz varmint 452 brilliant piece of kit i had a .22 before the hmr and i definately wouldn,t go back my best shot was 186 measured yards you can,t do that with a .22

This is true, but then with a .17 you can't feed it subsonics and shoot things without being heard.

As with anything, it's horses for courses. The .22 allows you to be more discrete. The .17 you will never get away from the muzzle crack. I would argue there's good reasons for having both.

There has been alot of talk just lately about .17hmr I think its just the fashion calibre at the mo. Saying that not had that much experience with one but can't see the benefits over .22 as the .22 is quiter. I know the range is limited just means you have to use a bit more field craft rather than relying on 150yard shots to hit everything.

Back to topic, get your FAC sent in asap, I would go for .22 as per the reasons above but speak to a few people try the different calibres and see which one suits your shooting best. Good luck :thumbs:

I have 2x 22 rimmys and 2x 17hmrs reason for 2 of each is one have a US gen 3 scope..as said above yes the 22 are moderated and very quiet with subs..but ive had a lot of success with my HMR even though there is a crack rabbits just sit there.and before they know whats gone on you have also bagged them before they run.

I have certain areas where i would use the 22 more than the hmr and then other areas where i would only use the hmr ..different areas dictate which rifle from my rapid 7 upto 223..and i have a no of cals for differing jobs.

But i do like my hmr..sweet little round..will have mine for a long time yet.well worth having one.

Mick