shotgun bores

Hi all, Just wondering I have been granted my sgc and been out with a friend with the 12bore. Its an italian gun not sure of the make, it was 28" over and under. It looked like a marzocchi, What I am wondering is the gun was very harsh when shooting, it had a lot of kick. I dont mean to come across blue but I`m new to shotguns and just wondering do they all have a harsh kick. I have been told that recoil pads help, or to go for a 20bore. I just feel that shooting that gun I would miss as the kick lifts the gun.

Hi all, Just wondering I have been granted my sgc and been out with a friend with the 12bore. Its an italian gun not sure of the make, it was 28" over and under. It looked like a marzocchi, What I am wondering is the gun was very harsh when shooting, it had a lot of kick. I dont mean to come across blue but I`m new to shotguns and just wondering do they all have a harsh kick. I have been told that recoil pads help, or to go for a 20bore. I just feel that shooting that gun I would miss as the kick lifts the gun.

Sounds to me like the gun does not fit you properly google uk gun repairs and contact them they will put you straight

Na, its not my gun but, i was just trying a 12 bore. I am 22 but quite small in build and was just wondering what bore to go for, I couldnt shoot that everyday. It was wondering would a 20g be a better gun as the recoil is harsh.

Lots of ifs and buts in my reply.

Recoil is all about charge weight/weight of gun. For example a Hv 32 gram load through a light weight game gun with a traditional heel plate..... quite sharp, to say the least. The same gun with a 24 gram load and a rubber pad - a different gun to shoot. Lots of people make the mistake and think 20 bore reduces recoil. A light 20 bore with a Hv game or competition load will rattle your teeth, even more than a 12 bore.

I read that you are quite new to shotgun shooting, so first things first: get a good competent shot to fully show you the corect stance and gun mount, make sure your gun fit is correct, start with a light or standard load and be conscious that you are mounting the gun as shown. Even better, invest in a lesson from a qualified shooting instructor.

I have young students both male and female, many in their early teens, shooting 300 cartridges a week with no discomfort from 12 gauge competion guns. If either the gun mount or stance is flawed you will experience discomfort. Couple that with incorrect gun fit and your pleasure for the sport will go out the window.

You will be advised by some to shoot with a gas operated auto to reduce recoil and, to a degree, they are right, but only in the respect that it allows for poor technique to be slightly less painfull.

Hope this helps a little, regards Sage UK Gun repairs.

Ok thanks for the advice. I will take it in. To be honest I am a big fan of semi autos but the people I will shoot with hate them. So take a o/u that is of a decent weight, what cartridges would you recommend? And also recoil pads, how do they work?