I want to start deerstalking.

Guest whippet

Guest whippet

I was thinking about knocking on my neighbors door to see if he wanted to ge shooting earlier, but saw his car wasn't there and remembered he had a job he was doing up in North devon that week so left it. I decided to do the next best thing and go out for a nice long walk. Anyways, getting to the point, just as I was getting near home and civilization I saw a flash of movement through a hedge and though 'fox' and quietly ran in a very spasticated/comical looking way up to a gap where I could get through.

I crashed through with about the grace and stealth of a a hungry obese person chasing an ice cream van through a peanut shelling factory. And to my extreme surprise saw not a fox, but a nice sized Roebuck complete with a set of antlers. It saw me, i saw it. It just stood there about 20 yards away looking at me, it was an amazing feeling just being eye to eye with it. The sheer natural beauty of the beast was hard to describe, I would have given my right leg for a .243 at that moment. :D:D:haha::yahoo:

I managed to herd it into a corner of the field where that was a high hedge with a fence so I could get a better look at it. i was just staring at it from 50 yards for a good half hour, and it didn't seem too bothered about me being there either.

Afterwards I realised what an adrenaline rush I was having and decided that I really want to take up deerstalking now. Just thought I'd share my little experience with you. :)

Well whats stopping you fella and the type of stalking you discribed seems to work well at times for me to mate :D i have on more than a few ocashions just decided to ignor the deer that has seen me and walk past and at the apropreate time lifted the gun and as they say bobs your auntie. it mainly works were the deer see people alot and have come to realise that there in no danger. :angel:

:clapper: Ian i can only imagine your delicate running technique if it was anything like the day them 2 deer came back over the brow, i thought you were gonna overtake Jack and pull the fecker down yourself............ :11: :11: :11: