• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AsherDe

What kind of shovel are you needing? I can get most of them at the flea market for a couple of bucks. I use a couple of different ones. A regular spade shovel with a fiberglass handle, a smaller spade that I call my girly shovel which I broke a couple of weeks ago, and a trenching shovel that is great for cleaning up the sides and for covering the hole when digging so the tube doesn't plug up. We also carry a spud bar with a chisel edge on one side and a spike on the other. But if you are walking, you are not going to want to carry all that.

Out of these shovels i only take 2 out with me,though the others have been usefull.

The 2 on the right, the smaller one in my net bag on my back and the other in my hand with the couples on it, dogs dragging along.

Both acquired for the princely sum of under a tenner. :thumbs-up:

Guest rattdog

made mine out of 1/2 inch pipe fittings,PC-7 epoxy and an old broken ames long shovel and a grade ten bolt and lock nut where the rivet hole isthe pipe was bent and shoved all the way thru the throat of the shovel and slathered with epoxy. the bolt is far enough up the handle not to get in the way when digging. works really good for $16.00 in materials and pretty bullit proof.

made mine out of 1/2 inch pipe fittings,PC-7 epoxy and an old broken ames long shovel and a grade ten bolt and lock nut where the rivet hole isthe pipe was bent and shoved all the way thru the throat of the shovel and slathered with epoxy. the bolt is far enough up the handle not to get in the way when digging. works really good for $16.00 in materials and pretty bullit proof.

Have you done much digging with it mate? It doesnt look very comfortable on the hands.

David

Guest AsherDe
I don't believe you would find a serious digging shovel in a flea market,as forged steel digging tools are not cheap.What state do you dig in? If you can get a good forged steel digging shovels, drop me a pm I am always looking for digging tools

I am in the very SW corner of Pennsylvania. Easy digging if you listen to other peoples digging stories. A deep dig here is around 3 feet. Rocks aren't a problem since we carry the spud bar. Also, I like long handled shovels. Stand them upright in the grill of the quad for carrying. Also lets you use the handle for finding the direction of the tube. I'll have to take a picture of my rig and let you see.

Here is a picture of one of my pups, Rik. You can see the dirt around the hole is pretty much rock free and loose. Occasionally get into a bit of clay, but not often. Then another to show he got the hog.

Flea Markets are a crap shoot. If you need a shovel today, go to the hardware store and get it. If you are just wandering through and see a good one, buy it. You can get some great deals that way. I am a regular at one flea market.and all the vendors know me and are on the look out for shovels, bars, shears, machetes etc.. for me. They know I'll buy if they are good. I'll keep my eyes open in the spring when they start up again. Pickings are getting slim this time of year.

Guest rattdog

the ames long shovel was given to me broken so it diddnt cost me anything twards my home made shovel, the handle feels pretty good I mostly use it to dig up norways and gophers, I also used it to dig all my trenches and pits for my irregation and drainage system at my house, worked really good and the weight made it easy to dig with, I havent done any real earth work IM getting my first patterdale pup this week and it will be some time before shes old enough to work. the terrier I have now is great on the rats and hell on the gophers but he,s a little frail for earthwork, but I definatley will upgrade to a bulldog or ames pony, or equal spade when my pup is older and my home made one will sit in the back of the truck as backup.

Edited by rattdog