Gundog training

Hi i have started trying to train my 6 month old lab bitch. She sits, stays and walks to heel at the moment but i have tryed some retriever training with puppy dummies toys etc and getting nowhere. is there anyone in south ayrshire that can help me train her please.

I live in Tarbolton.

Andrew.

Alrite bud.

How do you mean getting nowhere?.

Is she not picking them up, not bringing them back or just not interested?

Ive never had that problem before, but i would think making things more exciting would make her more keen to retrieve - try a tennis ball, rabbit skin dummy, rolled up pair of socks - anything that she will pick up will do the trick.

Make sure her sit, stay and recall is 100% before moving onto retrieves - it makes everything fall into place better and speeds the process up.

Oh, and just remember she is still only young so maybe given time it will click :thumbs:

FTB

Hi i have started trying to train my 6 month old lab bitch. She sits, stays and walks to heel at the moment but i have tryed some retriever training with puppy dummies toys etc and getting nowhere. is there anyone in south ayrshire that can help me train her please.

I live in Tarbolton.

Andrew.

Got 2 (dogs)that are 6 months at the end of this month too mate, great fun and annoying all rolled into 1? :thumbs:

They are coming on well the both of them and maybe i've been lucky but they are retrieving pretty well, could be the competition in the both of them?

I wouldn't worry too much anyway as she is still pretty young. Sounds like you have got the basics wrapped up and that is key. My auld grandad used to say "let a pup be a pup until a year" and i cant think of a bad dog that he had. Plenty time mate! :thumbs:

Hi 18888andybhoy ,she is young i would say a wee bit young to push on to quick . Try to lay of the steadiness training and get her retrieving , after all if you have the steadiest bomb proof dog in the world it insnt doing its job if it wont retreive.

Before i try to help dont worry about this youngster runing in you will get the steadiness back later ,your no one priority is to get it retrieving.

Take the pup out with a trained dog and handler roll a couple of dummies or tennis balls in front letting the pup see them send the trained dog do this acouple of times tell the handler to make a big fuss of the trained dog ,you say nothing to your dog take it home put in the kennel and do this for a couple of days then try the pup as soon as the pup picks the retreive walk backwards loads of praise (IN YOUR BEST GIRLIE VOICE)try to get down really low to get him right up to you.

I would only do one or two retreives a session and very short sessions at that .

the highlight of the pups day must now be the one or two retrieves with loads of praise

With a young pup I have had to lay on my back in a field and pat my chest to get a particularly poor retriever coming right up to me. Slowly Slowly is the answer.

Good luck if i can help at all please get in touch.

Hi lads,

Maybe i am rushing a bit too much she is a year old in October so should i start the real training then ?

Andrew

theres a working retriever test on the 9th of may at lamingtoun,run by the south west scotland gundog club, lots of guys from your area will be there,if you can get yourself along there will be plenty of folk there to give you advice.if you want more details i will gladly send them to you

Hi lads,

Maybe i am rushing a bit too much she is a year old in October so should i start the real training then ?

Andrew

theres a working retriever test on the 9th of may at lamingtoun,run by the south west scotland gundog club, lots of guys from your area will be there,if you can get yourself along there will be plenty of folk there to give you advice.if you want more details i will gladly send them to you

Hi lads,

Andrew

Hi lads,

Andrew

:thumbs: hi there you say your in tarbolton if needing any help i might just be able to help you im in drongan and do a bit of training my self.ive got 1 at 6 months shes in training just now .could meet you at stair or even drongan welcome anytime .