Do you guys think that the obsessive breeding of specific 'breeds' of dogs has damaged/weakened the working terrier? For a long time terriers were just small dogs bred to each other for their characteristics and working ability. No one gave a shit if it was a lakeland, patterdale, fell or whatever. The show world started it, with the idea of 'pure breeds' which rendered everything else 'just mongrels'. If i had a say really good working lakeland bitch and wanted to breed her i'd just look for the best terrier i could find- the breed wouldn't come into it at all as what they look like or what name they have mean nothing. Also some of the best terriers i've seen were bitzas.

atb

Jai.

• Like 1

What you say sounds good in theory but the problem comes when you put it in to practice.

Are you going to visit the owner of every single working dog to see which one is best? What if a particular dog has an easier day than another dog and so seems to be the better specimen but isnt actually?

The reason we have different breeds in the first place is because a type has evolved over many many generations to consistently produce workers...the fact they look the same is because they have been bred in a tight family line, same common ancestors. If you had a good working lakeland bitch, find the best lakeland dog to go over her...similar family lines (although may be only superficially related generations back) greater chance of breeding something equally as good...

Personally i would want some sort of lineage to any dog i bought - its hard enough trying to navigate through the talkers and bullsh!tters as it is without taking pot luck on a supposed "worker to worker" mating. I would want lineage to prove it was not just worker to worker but worker to worker to worker to worker to worker (you get what i mean).

ATB

Guest busterdog

Do you guys think that the obsessive breeding of specific 'breeds' of dogs has damaged/weakened the working terrier? For a long time terriers were just small dogs bred to each other for their characteristics and working ability. No one gave a shit if it was a lakeland, patterdale, fell or whatever. The show world started it, with the idea of 'pure breeds' which rendered everything else 'just mongrels'. If i had a say really good working lakeland bitch and wanted to breed her i'd just look for the best terrier i could find- the breed wouldn't come into it at all as what they look like or what name they have mean nothing. Also some of the best terriers i've seen were bitzas.

atb

Jai.

Very good principles, but what if you're breed of terriers has working ability and drive in plenty ? . Would you not try and tidy them up to a better stamp ?. If you've found yourself lucky enough to have a dambed good yard full of workers wouldn't you try and tidy those ugly muts up, if you could do it without ruining there abilities.

What I'm saying is there should be a slow progressive breeding program to change the stamp without just jumping on the Lakey band wagon.

atb

Jai.

Very good principles, but what if you're breed of terriers has working ability and drive in plenty ? . Would you not try and tidy them up to a better stamp ?. If you've found yourself lucky enough to have a dambed good yard full of workers wouldn't you try and tidy those ugly muts up, if you could do it without ruining there abilities.

What I'm saying is there should be a slow progressive breeding program to change the stamp without just jumping on the Lakey band wagon.

IF I HAD A YARD FULL OF WORKING DOGS CHANGING THERE LOOKS WOULD BE THE LAST THING FINDING ENOUGH WORK FOR THEM WOULD BE MY FIRST WORRY

Indeed 'tidying' them up to look nice would not cross my mind.

And yes Wulf i agree i would want a good working lineage with any dog i picked but all i'm saying is that would come before the breed for me if looking for a dog to put over a bitch.

Jai.

Guest busterdog

atb

Jai.

IF I HAD A YARD FULL OF WORKING DOGS CHANGING THERE LOOKS WOULD BE THE LAST THING FINDING ENOUGH WORK FOR THEM WOULD BE MY FIRST WORRY

When you've got a yard full of working dogs get back to me and then give you're views. What if heads weren't strong enough or their coats were poor ? There are plenty of things you could do to improve most kennels of terriers.

Did you ever see me showing my dogs ?

Guest busterdog

Yes i would certainly look to breed for good coats and strong heads but what 'breed' the dog was would not matter.

Jai.

I never said it did, I just said that the natural progression when you are happy with what you've got is to slowly start to alter the stamp to what you're happy with. This can be done without even going out of the same family of dogs that you have. Just go to someone who keeps the same line but is producing a better stamp.