Having a play with the rifle....

Got out this afternoon for a quick zero...it never seems an ideal time and the law of sod was doing its bit today as well...no sooner had i got my stuff together than it lashed down and the wind got up...lol

I manufacutred a quick portable target stand out of an old metal coat hanger and took my newly made shooting sticks with us.

dsc02238400x640.jpgdsc02239480x640.jpg

my first two shots were at 35 yards....just a quick check to make sure it was nearly there.

dsc02240640x5632.jpg

happy it was still shooting ok, i moved it out to 100 yards. i kept the magnification at 12x and fired 3 shots. i could just see them at the top of the target...i was aiming for the centre.

dsc02240640x563.jpgdsc02241640x574.jpg

that was the first grouping of three within 3/4" - i was happy with that! i also noted that using the mil dots it appeared to be the next one up from centre...so for the next 3 shots i used that mil dot and aimed for the centre of the target.

dsc02242640x480.th.jpg these three shots were just over 3/4" [1/4" high and 1 1/2" left of centre]

i then decided to move it out to 125 yards. [a zero at 36 yards should also give a second zero at 122 yards if the calculator is right, but in my past tests it didn't seem to be that way]

i got back to the rifle to find i had set the target too low to the ground, i couldnt see the bottom edge due to the grass, but i couldnt be bothered to walk out and lift it so i made do.....i fired off a few rounds [the 1 and 2 shot above and below the middle 3] before switching to 20x mag.

i then aimed the next 2 shots again using the 1st mil dot at a point centre high where the blue ring meets the white dsc02243640x480.jpg, the grouping was only just over 1/4", it was about 1/4" low though.

that was it for me though and i was happy with that...it was still 3" high at 125 yards which i thought strange but will see what happens when i get a good day to test it. Throughout this the wind was blowing directly from behind me [may be why the round was so high at 122yards?], it was strong and gusting so i think my new rest will do. I may remove the rubber and replace it with some thin leather just to cushion the rifle. the rubber did stop you adjusting it easily as it really gripped it too tightly.

anyway hope this makes sense....any comment welcomed....

well...went and had another play today. Wind light, sun out, ground rock hard and unomfortable...layed out markers with a tape measure so distances quite accurate today.

35first.jpg

First 3 shots at 35 meters.

35rezeroed.jpg

,so altered it till it was near zero.... A bit sloppy really but i was more interested in the 100/122 marks. So from this on i went out to 100 meters..., about 2" high and 2.2" left [poi was the lower right cross].

first100.jpg

So i started to bring it back over...1001n.jpg and then decided to try out to 122 meters.

122measured.jpg

..seemed a lot more like it with the height...i managed to bring the grouping over to the right [cant find the pic for that...] and did a couple of shots at 80m,

first80.jpg80rshift.jpg

by now i was begining to sweat with the walking back and forth and i was running out of time [always the case when i need to be relaxed..lol],back to 50m and this57802938.jpg

and finally back to 35m.final35.jpg then to tidy up and go...

still it should have been zeroed at 122m but it is firing about 1" high [i can live with that]. i do think it is my firing of the rifle that is throwing it high and i hope with practice i can sort that. these shots were taken off my attached bipod/prone. It will need a clean now and i will see if that affects the group, i may even try a diffeent ammo to see if it tightens anything up but want to sort my firing first....someone has mentioned their HMR produced results like this with 17's ammo...20's produced much improved groups. i may now try a different 17 ammo and get a box of 20's too.

thanks