shooting coach needed

Hi everyone

Im new to the shooting scene, ive been using guns since 98 when i was in the forces. i went out yesterday and had a great day on the pea's. The birds was coming in all thick and fast all day and went set up with 75 cart's. i used the magnet for a while and realised that it was scaring the birds, so i put that away. 5 hours later i ran out of cart's. BUT i only hit 9!!!!!!! birds :censored::icon_redface: 4 got away and 5 landed.

So i now know that i need help. 75 carts to 9 birds is shamefull. Does anybody know a good shooting coach near Grays, Essex??

HELP PLEASE

chris :thumbdown:

do you feel like you doing anything wrong?

shooting too early/too late?

are the birds coming down to your deeks, or are you trying to shoot as they fly over/ or past

how far are you taking the shot

do you feel like you doing anything wrong?

shooting too early/too late?

are the birds coming down to your deeks, or are you trying to shoot as they fly over/ or past

how far are you taking the shot

i think im shooting too late/early and im not sure about the distance. i pace 30-40 spaces from the hide, what distance it that?

I could only shoot and hit birds landing, but yesterday i was shooting them while in flight. i would only hit them in a open ( 5 nicks) choke, but now im hitting them with the 3/4 choke ( 4 nicks) :boogie:

Odds on shooting rifles in the forces you are closeing one eye and aiming at the bird , hence hitting the landed birds but notso many flyers.

Its a common fault when changeing from rifle to shotgun, closeing one eye affects your range assesment.

Coaching will certainly help you on the right track. A rifle is aimed a shotgun is pointed is the rule, a simple excersise is to point your finger at a small object both eyes open, then holding on the object look down your arm, you may not be 100% on it but close enough for a shotgun shot spread,try it on a passing aircraft allowing lead (with just an arm and a finger is safer :))

Dry mount your gun and do the same with an object, it can be done indoors but do make sure its unloaded :)

always shoot infront of a moving bird and under a bird thats dropping in is the advice i got giving when i first started about 15 years ago. i always try to take the birds at about 30yards so the pattern can open. a few shooting lessons wont hurt and could save alot of frustration

do you look at the bead or the bird ?

bead??

The end sight bead on the gun mate.

I'm new to this too, I managed to fire off a box and a half of cartridges a couple of weeks ago at crows and never hit a thing :icon_redface: , so you're not on your own.

I'm off for another go tomorrow and I'm not coming back home till I've hit one, so I may be offline for a week or so..

theres your problem, you should not look at the bead at all for moving targets, you should just stare at the bird. the bead is only for stationary targets. Make sure your head position is correct to on the stock, do this by placing a £2 coin on the rib inline with the ejectors, then place your head on the stock and you should just be able to see the bead. If this is the case the next pigeon that comes in just stare at the bird swing through and pull the trigger.

I know I should point the gun and not aim it, and can hit clays at a rate of just over 50%, the trouble is I discovered that birds don't fly in nice straight lines like clays lol.

I think my main problem was that I was too eager and was shooting as soon as a bird appeared, I plan to wait longer and let them come closer tomorrow.

Odds on shooting rifles in the forces you are closeing one eye and aiming at the bird , hence hitting the landed birds but notso many flyers.

Its a common fault when changeing from rifle to shotgun, closeing one eye affects your range assesment.

Coaching will certainly help you on the right track. A rifle is aimed a shotgun is pointed is the rule, a simple excersise is to point your finger at a small object both eyes open, then holding on the object look down your arm, you may not be 100% on it but close enough for a shotgun shot spread,try it on a passing aircraft allowing lead (with just an arm and a finger is safer :))

Dry mount your gun and do the same with an object, it can be done indoors but do make sure its unloaded :)

dont agree with that at all.. been shotting for 28 years clays and birds closing one eye dos not affected Range assesment since 100% of people Are left or right eye only dominate " its the dominate eye that gives your depth perseption " closing one eye will how ever give you less over all veiw of what maybe comming from the left or right " depending ont he closed eye" i been teaching for 15 years, and no matter what you read on a forum sun it will not help.

You need someone to stand with you and watch you as you shoot. a good shot will beable to see if your low / high , infrunt or behind, also i would ask them to check to see if your left or right eye dominate. " easy to do get a broom handle hold it up like a shotgun and close each eye in turn and he can watch you " OR with both eyes open look into the corner of the any room at the top ie so u see 2 walls and the roof . and hole your trigger finger up pointing that the corner of the room. then close left eye then same with right eye. if when your left eye closed " right eye open " your finger is still pointing at the corner ( your right eye dominate ) or if when left eye open " right eye closed " your finger is still pointing at the corner your left eye dominate.

I had 15-16 people who are right handed but they are left eye dominate so hand to teach them to shoot left handed. even hand some people who with shotguns they are left eye dominate but shoot better left hand with shotguns but right hand with rifles. try spotting that one..

Tell you now mate. Get down ya local clay shoot and get someone watch ya shoot some clays, just makes life easyer to stop where your going wrong. there are som many things you might be doing wrong that may need changing. some could be down to the gun ie Wrong lenth of pull, cheack might be to high to low, and so on, then again could be all you..

PM me if u want any more help buddy .. and all the best

sorry but closng one eye does effect depth perception ,how you never tried hold your fingers out at arms lenght, about one yard apart, then point your index fingers to each other and move them towards each other so they meet in the middle, trying to touch the fingers together, you will miss.

sorry but closng one eye does effect depth perception ,how you never tried hold your fingers out at arms lenght, about one yard apart, then point your index fingers to each other and move them towards each other so they meet in the middle, trying to touch the fingers together, you will miss.

well your wrong, and you even said why your self lol.. also befor posting silly comments maybe READ! all the posts as this has alrdy been explained. thats to find left or right eye dominate. NOT! depth perseption. in 99% of people there dominate eye controles Depth perseption. so closing the none dominate eye dos not affect your depth perseption at all.. go speck savers and ask em your self.

am sure even you know who Dusty was. " only the best clay shooter in the uk and most of the EU " He always shot right eye open left closed. i had shot along side him many times.

God bless ya dusty, may he rest in peace.