how much blood

i have started my GWP this week with trailing and i am using cows blood. I have a quick question on how much blood do you use when laying the trail, articles i have read advise on a few drops along the trail at interval of say 10meters, is this literally a few drops at this stage. I am using a squeezy bottle and i am currently using a good squeeze to mark the intervals. I know that in practise you wont get this much blood down the trail but to start a dog how much is used?.

keith

if you have a 1/2 liter bottle then spread it liberally over very short distances to beging with,later you will use the 1/2 liter over 500 meters.

if you can get deer or wild pigs feet then wound the ground with those too(a good dog will not need blood later,the stress hormones and ground disturbance will be enough to hold the trail).

to start off use quite alot,then spread the same ammount over longer distances.

don't forget the reward at the end of the trail,he must want to get there :thumbs:

waidmann

No expert whatsoever, but when a friend trained his young gun shy lab for stalking, I went to a field before him and dog arrived and spilt a little deer blood (couple of table spoons) on the ground, then poured a little onto a fresh roe skin tied to string and dragged it in a rough zig zag around a field ending up in a thichish hedge.

Friend bought dog into field 1/2 hour later and walked with dog over to the stick where I had originally spilt some blood - few words of incouragement to dog which set off at a great pace with a 15 foot lead attached to friend - found skin much hugging and kissing. Two days latter repeat without blood - same result - dog now a good finder of deer - perhaps we were just lucky with a dog that would rather go stalking than pheasant shooting??

No expert whatsoever, but when a friend trained his young gun shy lab for stalking, I went to a field before him and dog arrived and spilt a little deer blood (couple of table spoons) on the ground, then poured a little onto a fresh roe skin tied to string and dragged it in a rough zig zag around a field ending up in a thichish hedge.

Friend bought dog into field 1/2 hour later and walked with dog over to the stick where I had originally spilt some blood - few words of incouragement to dog which set off at a great pace with a 15 foot lead attached to friend - found skin much hugging and kissing. Two days latter repeat without blood - same result - dog now a good finder of deer - perhaps we were just lucky with a dog that would rather go stalking than pheasant shooting??

labs are very good dogs for trailing. they have the nose and a steady temperament.the only thing they may lack is the "hardness" to pull down and hold(i'm sure there are some very good holders out there and this is meant in general :thumbs: a good freind had a golden retriever which was very good,he just had a "mad as" terrier for the end bits :thumbs: quite common among the professional trailers to avoid injury to the hounds)

i am not a fan of "body scent" being used(other than in wound beds where a few hairs are thrown in) for most dogs its an insult to theie noses,they are more than capable of following very little scent(not having a go just my oppinion bud :thumbs: ).

good luck,have fun and i would love to hear how it goes.

waidmann