my two terriers have started loseing hair, both on there ears and on one the bridge of her nose the hair is thining out. i have never seen them scratching and skin appears fine. i have been useing canestan antifungal all week but no change yet. i am about to start benzyl benzoate. any one else had this?

what bedding are they on ?

they have rip proof padded mats that i put in plastic baskets. they are kept very clean.

could it be much protein?or mites?

im going to give benzl a go to see if its mites.

how much is too much protein in a dry food?

mites mate duramitex trfy that had this problem last year atbb

what bedding are they on ?

they have rip proof padded mats that i put in plastic baskets. they are kept very clean.

could it be much protein?or mites?

im going to give benzl a go to see if its mites.

how much is too much protein in a dry food?

IF IT WERE TO HIGH A PROTEIN THE DOG WOULD ITCH .CHECK SEE IF THE AREA WHICH ITS LOSING HAIR IS RED AND INFLAMED IF SO YOU COULD HAVE SARCOPTIC MANGE CHECK THE DOGS TUMMY FOR YELLOW BLISTERS THATS A SURE SIGHN ITS GOT IT .AS FOR THE PROTEIN MAKE SURE ITS PROTEIN LEVELS ARE NO HIGHER THAN 22% .BEEF AND BROWN BREAD YOU CANNOT GO FAR WRONG WITH THAT MATE.

GOOD LUCK.

i dont think its mange as they are not scratching and the skin is not inflamed. on one dog the skin is a little flaky but he has always had slightly flaky skin. the other dogs skin is totaly fine its just the hair in her ears and nose have suddenly thinned, no actual bald patches just thinned out so you can see the skin.

my two terriers have started loseing hair, both on there ears and on one the bridge of her nose the hair is thining out. i have never seen them scratching and skin appears fine. i have been useing canestan antifungal all week but no change yet. i am about to start benzyl benzoate. any one else had this?

I once had a dog that lost its fur in patches all over its body so i bought

some coconut oil from chemist rubbed it in for two weeks and hey presto

ended up with a lovely shiney coat and fur grew back good as new.

hope this helps .

good luck and keep hunting

cjw

Hi I have got a red crossbred terrier every winter hair loss on his ears.He is now 6 yrs old tried every thing had him to vets checked for mites and other tests come back fine tried different foods.every winter same from been a pup.it always comes back in the spring after season finished.I use teatree oil.I some times think is it some thing in is breeding.

Hi I have got a red crossbred terrier every winter hair loss on his ears.He is now 6 yrs old tried every thing had him to vets checked for mites and other tests come back fine tried different foods.every winter same from been a pup.it always comes back in the spring after season finished.I use teatree oil.I some times think is it some thing in is breeding.

Sounds like it is genetic to me. Teatree oil is very toxic to dogs, read on another forum of a woman applying neat teatree oil to a cut the dog was dead in 10 minutes so beware.

I've used tea tree oil on all my dogs for years with no problems, speeds up healing really well. I've never used it on bald patches though.Used to use tea tree shampoo on a bull terrier I had that suffered from numerous alergies as it is very good for soothing the skin.

Used Benzyl on a whippet that had similar as a 12mth old pup and it cleared it up save one patch on his tail.

Edited by kabar