exersise

Hi,just wanted your opinions. How much exersise do you think i should be giving my 14wk old greyhoundxbull pup? At the moment he has about 15mins off.. the lead twice a day and some exersise on a long line .With my other two dogs who where full greyhounds this was more than enough,they would basically look knackered before this.They both lived to a good age so i didnt do too much wrong! This new one is as tough as old boots and would carry on no mater what, he runs around with my old collie so its not too full on but hes not sussed out when enoughs enough and i dont want to cause any long term damage.Thanks

hes a pup let him be one :thumbs:

Thanks, i normally go with my gut instinct which is what you both came up with but an old fella came up to me the other day said hed had running dogs all his life,he said you will have nothing but leg trouble with that dog, he shouldnt be off the lead till at least 8mth.It made me feel really guilty!!

You seems the be getting it right with the pup, if you can get the pup used to a routine it really settles their heads, that way they know whats coming next, and you take him out somewhere off the lead encourage him to go play, and when he chasing round , praise him, he'll learn this is his time off the lead and hopefully go hell for leather running round the place, a good cardio work out for a pup of that age is much better than a long walk,,

i think the play side is not the problem.mine plays all the time with the terrier and staffy running around the garden like a berserker(practicing the "strike" on the terrier,taking him off his feet :cry: ).it will help build up muscles and hard tissue for the work he will have later.if i didn't let them play they would drive me up the wall :thumbs:

pups will play, its starting them too early on work which i would be carefull of. mine get out about two hours a day (when we don't go lamping)and a long mooch on the weekend during the day(youngest is just over five months).

good luck with the pup.

waidmann

i think the play side is not the problem.mine plays all the time with the terrier and staffy running around the garden like a berserker(practicing the "strike" on the terrier,taking him off his feet :cry: ).it will help build up muscles and hard tissue for the work he will have later.if i didn't let them play they would drive me up the wall :thumbs:

pups will play, its starting them too early on work which i would be carefull of. mine get out about two hours a day (when we don't go lamping)and a long mooch on the weekend during the day(youngest is just over five months).

good luck with the pup.

waidmann

Thanks for the replys guys, it really helps to talk to people who know what they are on about.Im finding the forum really helpful

hes a pup let him be one :thumbs:

What kind of answer is that! She only asked a question seeking advice. Never once did she say tyhat she wasnt letting it be a pup..... :big_boss:

As for the old fella, take no notice, you know what old gizzers are like, they know everythinG! You will know when the pup has done to much. Not on the day, as, like you said, it doesnt know when to stop. You'l,l be able to tell the day after! You decide, i am sure your not forest gump and you wont walk it or run it to death,...