A crisp start

This morning arrived as did Nick before light in the snow.

We had quite a drive ahead so when he stuffed his things in my truck we set off.

A very good frost was about and windless so stalking was going to be tough.

We walked in and weren't long before a big buck and doe appeared to our left we closed the ground only to have about a dozen pheasants erupt in front alerting the deer to our presence.

So I filmed the buck (very nice he was.)

Well we carried on as those deer melted back into the wood we had just come from and I thought we may pick them up on the way back.

So we reached my ambush point a large ride splitting a nice wood in half.

Within 5 minutes 4 deer crossed the track at the far end. "I know where they are heading" I said "follow me".

We quietly entered the woodland on the left and penetrated the twilight beneath the scotts pines.

But no frost in there and a bed of needles made progress easy.

Not long in there and another large buck this one clean and in brown antler chased a doe out and they nearly knocked poor Breeze over, and i still don't think they saw any of us.

Then she(breeze) swung around and pointed alerting us to the progress of another deer. It was another doe about 25m's of us and gently sniffing where the other deer had run.

There was alot of thin twigs between us and the deer and Nick was trying to find a clear way through for the bullet.

I stopped her twice and she never presented us the shot then it was done he saw a gap fired and she went straight down with a shot which hit the back of the lungs but smashed the liver.

So that was that and when we did our external check it was apparent she had had a broken leg which had healed and didn't seem to cause a limp.(sure it was a top strand injury)

th_npvics.jpg

RIMG0018-1.jpg

RIMG0022.jpg

another couple tonight.

RIMG0027.jpg

well done john you must be getting through them now !! i may be wrong but i'm sure the guy in the pic was on the same level 1 course at eskdalemuir in november ?

atb

alan.

Yeah, It would have been him cos me and a couple of mates where up in Scotland on the hinds at the same time and the date was 21st November 09.

DeerNut.

thats right mate it was the 21st nov :thumbs:

atb alan.

Nice one John,and the leg does seem like a fence job.............Martin

Another excellent post John - Shows how well they can cope in adversity. This doe's left foreleg was badly damaged but she was still a good, healthy weight.

post-4425-126791694955_thumb.jpg

Not sure how she managed to do it and she was evidently struggling but it look to be a well healed injury.

Edited by Local
  • 3 weeks later...