reloading

I have just started reloading for a 222 using speer 50 grain heads , and using a lee reloader manual for reference .I have noticed that there is a max oal measurement given as a guide but after measuring various heads in the box they vary by as much as .020 .I have measured the overall length of the bullets i have made and they obviously end up different lengths due to the heads being different length during manufacture .Is there any way to avoid this or do i need to get better /more precise bullet heads .If so can anybody reccomend a better manufacturer .Ihave also thought about using 40 grain heads .Does anyone have a good bullet/load for these .Thanks for any input.

You need a bullet comparator that screws onto the end of your calipers. It measures the bullet at the ogive or curve on the head which contacts the rifleing.

You may get a difference of 1 to 2 thou over a hundred bullets measuring this way.

So using this tool you can then seat you bullet to an consistent distance.

I bought mine from Tim Hannam and reloading solutions are good as well.

This is the one I use together with the insert for .222: http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/10476/Bullet-Comparators

I use 21.2 gr of Vit 130 for a 50gr Sierra SP varminter. Yields 3100 FPS.

Edited by jackg

I use 40 grn Blitzkings with 22 grns of R7, this produces constant 1/4 inch groups at 100 yds,

What range are they good for on fox .Is there a big difference on recoil .Are there any advantage over 50 grains heads other than price ? What about overall length of bullet .Thanhs for your reply .

I use 40 grn Blitzkings with 22 grns of R7, this produces constant 1/4 inch groups at 100 yds,

Ditto :clapper:

What range are they good for on fox Depends on what you are capable of, good out to 250 yds

Is there a big difference on recoil Nope

Are there any advantage over 50 grains heads other than price ?Faster and flatter (but not a massive difference to be honest)

What about overall length of bullet .Bullet is a bit longer due to added weight, the OAL is the same

Thanhs for your reply .

Hope this helps :victory:

Ditto :clapper:

What range are they good for on fox Depends on what you are capable of, good out to 250 yds

Is there a big difference on recoil Nope

Are there any advantage over 50 grains heads other than price ?Faster and flatter (but not a massive difference to be honest)

What about overall length of bullet .Bullet is a bit longer due to added weight, the OAL is the same

Thanhs for your reply .

Hope this helps :victory:

Yep, i agree to all the above points, i have shot Foxes out to 300 yds but not regularly,