pigeon decoying

Hi guys was out decoying today and had very little success.

The birds were flying in about 80-100 yards away and then just turned away.

im using 8 half shell pigeons .

Before anyone asks yes my hidenet is set up proper so if any one has any tips please reply

Place your decoys in a horseshoe pattern facing slightly into the wind about 25-35 mtrs from your hide. This pattern helps them filter into the middle of your deeks. Make sure that you have got set up under a flightline, or as near as you can. Don`t go over board with the amount of deeks you put out, i generally put out about 15-20 mixed shell and full bodied. Make sure they don`t look too regimented, have them slightly angled but generally facing the wind. I use a flapper rather than a magnet, just my choice. With the flapper it is important to not overflap when you have birds overhead as this can and does put them off. When you see a pigeon flying within range, flap the lapper once. I put the flapper inside the horseshoe, this also helps filter them into the pattern and within range. When you get birds coming in, wait until they have put their landing gear down and have committed themselves to landing. This is when you get up and shoot as they are concentrating on landing. Once they are on the ground the first thing they do is have a look round to see if it`s safe to stay.

Last year i took a friend out on a Saturday afternoon on ground i have shot for over 20 years and we had shot 75 in 3 hours using this set up. :thumbs:

Hope this helps

fozzy

Hi guys was out decoying today and had very little success.

The birds were flying in about 80-100 yards away and then just turned away.

im using 8 half shell pigeons .

Before anyone asks yes my hidenet is set up proper so if any one has any tips please reply

You already have some good advice but what was the day like ? sunshine can make a shell decoy look unreal and they shy away. If you are lucky enough to kill a few put them out and if you have enough take the shells away.

A dead pigeon is the best decoy. Once I saw a live pigeon which had sneaked in unseen trying to mate with a dead one I had out as a decoy. I laughed so much I failed to shoot it.