frost bite

Rainman

During December my female harris 15 years old got frost bite (Odemea) on her right wing, she lost all her primary feathers. I caught her just in time I rubbed preparation H into her affected area and got a course of anti biotics for her.Every night she was placed in a carrying box and placed in a warm room, she was put back into the avairy through the day to excersise her wing for circulation.After 5 weeks the swelling had gone down and her new feathers are growing nicely.I`m lucky she didnt lose her wing she was always kept in a frost proof avairy but there was a night when the temperture drop too low after a days hunting. Has any one else had trouble this winter with thier birds.

I`m always carefull every winter but it goes to show you cant be too carefull, watch that weather.

During December my female harris 15 years old got frost bite (Odemea) on her right wing, she lost all her primary feathers. I caught her just in time I rubbed preparation H into her affected area and got a course of anti biotics for her.Every night she was placed in a carrying box and placed in a warm room, she was put back into the avairy through the day to excersise her wing for circulation.After 5 weeks the swelling had gone down and her new feathers are growing nicely.I`m lucky she didnt lose her wing she was always kept in a frost proof avairy but there was a night when the temperture drop too low after a days hunting. Has any one else had trouble this winter with thier birds.

I`m always carefull every winter but it goes to show you cant be too carefull, watch that weather.

i had no problem with mine pal she let me put it in living room ha ha . a bit messy in morning though i had to get up before she did and mop up

• 2 weeks later...

Rainman, was she freelofting? where abouts are you in britain? . Was she wet when you put her away this particular occasion?

please give details as im interested to here about this condition. Ive been doing some reading about it lately. Thanks

Rainman, was she freelofting? where abouts are you in britain? . Was she wet when you put her away this particular occasion?

please give details as im interested to here about this condition. Ive been doing some reading about it lately. Thanks

Trappa,

I live up north near Middlesbrough, the bird was freelofted, had been out flying at the weekend and she caught a large buck she hit it hard and maybe she might of bruised her wing, she was fed up on it fully.She was dry when put back into the avairy but by Tuesday her wing was droopy and primary feathers started to fall out and her wing was swollen happened so fast.We did have extreme low temperatures at night but her avairy was well covered at night.

She is fine now with new feathers growing.

Edited by Rainman

Trappa,

I live up north near Middlesbrough, the bird was freelofted, had been out flying at the weekend and she caught a large buck she hit it hard and maybe she might of bruised her wing, she was fed up on it fully.She was dry when put back into the avairy but by Tuesday her wing was droopy and primary feathers started to fall out and her wing was swollen happened so fast.We did have extreme low temperatures at night but her avairy was well covered at night.

caught a large buck :hmm::clapper::notworthy:

Trappa,

Just a guess but i think he means buck rabbit. :yes:

Trappa,

Just a guess but i think he means buck rabbit. :yes:

i no mate, just light hearted jest ;)

You've been pretty unlucky there pal if the bird was free lofted, My old female is near on 18 and the male of the pair is 21 and lucky for me I have had no problems, they're both housed in a 12 x 10 by 8 high enclosure fully enclosed. I have heard of this Happening many times with birds bowed out in weathering or whatever but I think Trappa's questions was bang on asking if she was Wet in the weather, I can't Imagine any HH not getting problems in this chill if its wet or Damp....

Sounds like she took a bang from the Buck mate!! you've probably solved the case now thumbs.gif....

Jasp