earthwork

Guest AngelicAcid

you are reading it wrong lads.you put you dog down, dig, if the situation requires you to get the dog out and loose quarry, what would you do, risk the dog for the sake of a fox.

outcome should be dog out, fox dispatched.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everybody has different views when it comes to working terriers, at the end of the day you've go to get to your quarry but dogs may do this in different ways, either a bayer or a stayer. I am new to terrier work and just got my first terrier, i've been taken on a few digs with an experienced lad and shown the basics. However the only dog i've seen graft does a bit of both it vocal and at the same time strong enough to hold and due to this can take a bit of poke. From your own experience which style dog would you prefer, or does it differ on type of earth i.e. ground make up, depth etc. It would be good to hear what others have to say and maybe i will learn from this, pics welcome. Cheers Rye

the dog that your talking about :whistling:

show off :tongue2: not bad for a bitch we no teeth :thumbs:

Cheers for replies lads all appreciated, a few of the pup ive just taken on, very strong dog and seems a bit too forward however not yet to work him as he is only 8 month, took him the other week and let him have a look and he was wanting a bit too much, will keep pics coming of him, out tomorow hope we drop on

post-11381-126601043519_thumb.jpg

post-11381-126601045044_thumb.jpg

post-11381-126601056985_thumb.jpg

Everybody has different views when it comes to working terriers, at the end of the day you've go to get to your quarry but dogs may do this in different ways, either a bayer or a stayer. I am new to terrier work and just got my first terrier, i've been taken on a few digs with an experienced lad and shown the basics. However the only dog i've seen graft does a bit of both it vocal and at the same time strong enough to hold and due to this can take a bit of poke. From your own experience which style dog would you prefer, or does it differ on type of earth i.e. ground make up, depth etc. It would be good to hear what others have to say and maybe i will learn from this, pics welcome. Cheers Rye

1 THING YOUR'E WELL WRONG ABOUT IS GETTING YOUR QUARRY, No1 PRIORITY IS GETTING THE DOG,SAFETY OF THE TYKE COMES BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE. THE QUARRY COMES 2ND. JMO.

Dont dig much then mate .

Seen a few of your posts foxdropper,this one takes the biscuit really,not quite as funny but your post the other day stated "dogs become immune to punctures,rips need instant attention" you are talking bollocks mate,dog first every time,and to the less experianced punctures can be very dangerous to your dogs,take notice of this amateur at your peril.

well [bANNED TEXT] a good dog is a 1 that stays n stays till dug 2 n u can atleast get 2 the qaurry n its not 6 foot away! so u cnt get 2 it! so if a dog stays n u like digging 2 it n u think its a good dog than it is! THERES NO RULES [bANNED TEXT] IT COMES 2 WORKING TERRIERS! I KNOW SUM BLOKES THINK THERE IS SO JUST GO WITH THE DOGS U GOT AN DNT SET BOUNDRYS 4 THEM AS LONG AS THEY MEKE U HAPPY THEN THATS IT BUD. I know sum idiots on here that i know there dogs r no good but they keep em n then insult people on there dogs that they work.

SO EVERY DIG IS TXT BOOK IS IT?? ROCK PILES, ROCK SHELVES, HEAVY ROOTS, PLACES THAT THE QUARRY CAN GET TO AND DISH OUT PUNISHMENT TO A DOG. SO YOU CAN ALL SAY THAT YOU HAVE GOT THE QUARRY EVERYTIME YOU HAVE DUG TO YOUR DOG WITHOUT YOUR DOG TAKING ANY PUNISHMENT THAT IT DOES'NT NEED TO? WOULD YOU RATHER LEAVE YOUR DOG TO GROUND TO TAKE PUNISHMENT OR MAYBE EVEN LOOSE IT'S LIFE JUST FOR THE SAKE OF "GETTING THE QUARRY"? WE HAVE A NAME FOR GUYS WHO JUST WANT TO GET THE QUARRY AND IT'S "STUFF MEN" MORE INTERESTED IN GETTING WHAT'S IN THE HOLE THAN SEEIN THEIR DOG WORK. IF THE SAFETY AND HEALTH OF MY DOG IS AT RISK I WILL TAKE THE DOG ANYDAY OVER THE QUARRY. "JMO" AS I SAID IN MY ORIGINAL POST.

imo if you only have dogs that stay you limit the places you can use them.I think you need a couple of diferent dogs to be able to do any earth thats set before you i would hate to have to walk past a good looking earth because its to deep to digg.

imo if you only have dogs that stay you limit the places you can use them.I think you need a couple of diferent dogs to be able to do any earth thats set before you i would hate to have to walk past a good looking earth because its to deep to digg.

UNLESS YOU ARE DIGGING THE SAME EARTHS OVER AND OVER AGAIN HOW CAN YOU TELL WHAT YOU WILL ENCOUNTER AS YOU START TO DIG? AN EARTH MAY ONLY HAVE 1 ENTRANCE AND LOOK LIKE A PUPPY PLACE BUT COULD BE QUITE THE OPPISITE UNDER THE GROUND. THERE COULD BE ANY NUMBER OF DIFFERENT OBSTACLES UNDERNEATH THE GROUND THAT LAY HIDDEN.

(FOXDROPPER)I LAUGH AT YOU GUYS THAT MAKE COMMENTS ABOUT OTHERS NOT DOIN MUCH DIGGING. SHOW'S YOUR OWN INEXPERIENCE.

UNLESS YOU ARE DIGGING THE SAME EARTHS OVER AND OVER AGAIN HOW CAN YOU TELL WHAT YOU WILL ENCOUNTER AS YOU START TO DIG? AN EARTH MAY ONLY HAVE 1 ENTRANCE AND LOOK LIKE A PUPPY PLACE BUT COULD BE QUITE THE OPPISITE UNDER THE GROUND. THERE COULD BE ANY NUMBER OF DIFFERENT OBSTACLES UNDERNEATH THE GROUND THAT LAY HIDDEN.

(FOXDROPPER)I LAUGH AT YOU GUYS THAT MAKE COMMENTS ABOUT OTHERS NOT DOIN MUCH DIGGING. SHOW'S YOUR OWN INEXPERIENCE.

If your dogs are stayers would you drop them in any earth you come across then

Edited by brog

DIFFERENT DOGS FOR DIFFERENT JOBS, SOMETIMES YOU CAN TELL BY LOOKING AT AN EARTH WHETHER IT'S SAFE TO DROP A DOG IN OR NOT AND I HAVE IN THE PAST DROPPED A DOG INTO AN EARTH THAT LOOKED HANDY BUT ENDED UP A NIGHTMARE. SOMETIMES I HAVE DROPPED A DOG IN PLACES THAT LOOKED DODGY AND IT WAS STRAIGHT FORWARD. WHAT I'M SAYIN IS YOU NEVER CAN TELL UNTIL YOU DIG IT. ALSO I'LL NOT KENNEL A DOG THAT DOES'NT STAY. :thumbs:

DIFFERENT DOGS FOR DIFFERENT JOBS, SOMETIMES YOU CAN TELL BY LOOKING AT AN EARTH WHETHER IT'S SAFE TO DROP A DOG IN OR NOT AND I HAVE IN THE PAST DROPPED A DOG INTO AN EARTH THAT LOOKED HANDY BUT ENDED UP A NIGHTMARE. SOMETIMES I HAVE DROPPED A DOG IN PLACES THAT LOOKED DODGY AND IT WAS STRAIGHT FORWARD. WHAT I'M SAYIN IS YOU NEVER CAN TELL UNTIL YOU DIG IT. ALSO I'LL NOT KENNEL A DOG THAT DOES'NT STAY. :thumbs:

diffrent dogs but all stayers where does that make sence.i no earths that cant be dug but with the right dog you can get your fox but if a stayer is droped in you may not see it again.j m o
Guest AngelicAcid

Good thread lads, im by no means an expert, and never claim to do a lot, quite the opposite infact.

I think its down to experience and listening and learning, not slating and bragging and pulling others down all the chances you get.