Gutted - My beagles torn his cruciate

Hi ,

My beagle dog has a tare to his cruciate its been a problem for around 3 months but now the vet has decided that he will need an op to fix it. I LUCKILY had taken out insurance around 2months before, to be honest im not sure if the insurance will pay out.The vet said it will cost "thousands" im awaiting the quote. I can take them out for a couple of hrs and he is fine chasing rabbits etc but when he gets home he limps badly, he shows no pain what so ever he lets you pull and push all of the leg. Problem is the vet said its 8 wks complete rest after the op even taking him out on a lead to the toilet :o . I think he ll go mad locked up all day for 8 wks :wallbash: . If i leave it the vet thinks both legs could go, also he will get arthritus he said from the x ray he s already showing signs of arthritus :thumbdown: he s only 3. Do you think it would be bad to get some sort of tablets to calm him for the 8 wks another problem i forsee is taht when i get the lead to take him to the toilet he ll think he s going for a walk :wallbash:

Thanks for any responses

atb newbie

Edited by NEWBIE1980

CW's advice is very good.

My lad snapped his cruciate just rolling over in his bed. I actually heard it snap! :icon_eek:

I went to the vet the next day and he was in surgery over night. the vet replaced the ligament and 6 weeks later, my lad was back running again. He is perfect now.

The vet only charged me about €250 and he did a quality job. :thumbs:

Take heart newbie, it will all work out fine. Most importantly dont let the dog run or jump at all!

My lakeland bitch snapped hers two years ago, vet stitched in a fake one. For the op three days in care, two previous vists and all the tabs needed for €200. Last season she tore the other leg. He fixed and she was back digging in 8 weeks only €160. one of the best vets around, greyhound lads come from all over to him. best of luck

Thanks for your responses, the insurance have said today that they will pay out :D . The vet told me he was goin to put a fake (nylon) cruciate in also he was going to shave some of the bone off, he would also have to plate and pin the leg :thumbdown: . Does anyone think it would be unfair or have any ideas what to give the dog eg tablets to try and chill him out when the op has been done as im sure he will go mad locked up for 8wks :wallbash: ?

Another problem i will have is i have a 6month old beagle keeping the two apart will be a nightmare :thumbdown:

atb

Reduce the amount of protein he is getting.

Buy a small enough crate or pet cage. Keep his bed in there, place a blanket over most of the cage and lock him up and only take him out for short walks on lead.

Best of luck. :thumbs:

good advice this is lad , take notice :thumbs:

atb jackard

• Like 1

THis is a tricky one the vet will say keep it fully locked in and just short walks. But, I had my bitch in a small run but big enough to walk around and piss. Remember like us they need to stretch. There leg will be sore so they wont jump much anyway. A bit of activity and movement will keep there other legs from wasting and will strengthen the leg the whole time. Play it by year. Dont change routine that much it will drive them more mad. Good Luck

THis is a tricky one the vet will say keep it fully locked in and just short walks. But, I had my bitch in a small run but big enough to walk around and piss. Remember like us they need to stretch. There leg will be sore so they wont jump much anyway. A bit of activity and movement will keep there other legs from wasting and will strengthen the leg the whole time. Play it by year. Dont change routine that much it will drive them more mad. Good Luck

yes, there will inevitably be muscle wastage, but when he is ready it can easily be restored.

the main thing is dont be tempted to rush it, or think hes ok earlier than vet suggests......I know someone whos leonberger snapped a cruciate, then 2 weeks later they felt sorry for it and let it out in the garden for a run :icon_eek: result was another operation and another £600, and another 6 weeks cage rest :censored: all because of owners stupidity. Vet was furious!!! The 1st few days after the op hell be a bit dozy antyway, and hell soon get used to the cage rest....put cage in quiet place where he can see stuff going on but not where the pup will run around and tease him. You cant rush this job, and once its done and rested he should be fine. It depends how the cruciate was damaged, but if it was in an accident, like my hounds, was, then theres little chance of the 2nd one snapping. if it happened relativley easily then possibility there is a weakness there and the other one might go as well.

I had a similar scenario with a dog of mine, it had a Tibia Plateau Leveling Osteotomy "TPLO" not the cheapest operation but he has had it on both rear legs now and is fine. He will never be as quick as he was but he does have a run about. Took about 12 weeks from start to finish and as has been said key is to stick to the advice of strict bed rest.