New to ferreting!

Guest houndblair

Guest houndblair

Hi all, im new to ferreting im hoping to get a ferret and start soon please may someone explain what equipmenty i may need and how much ferrets normally cost!

ANTI LACS, LEAGUE FOR HUNTING

Hi all, im new to ferreting im hoping to get a ferret and start soon please may someone explain what equipmenty i may need and how much ferrets normally cost!

hi mate were abouts are you in glos im from the forest of dean at the moment iam in the same position as you ferretless although used to do a bit and would like to get back into it you could probally pick a ferret up for about a fiver you would obviously need a hutch a box to take the ferret out in some purse nets a locator and a spade things have probally advanced since i used to go and im a bit rusty but thats the basics hope fully somebody else might chip in with some advice please get back to me with were abouts your at as may be able to set you up with a ferret if your stuck hope this helps

Guest Rabbit Hunter

Got some ferrets going for free if you can pick them up.

go for a MK1 locator box, theyre simple and still the best - if yo9u are lucky enough to find one. MK3s are a pile of poo, just a lot of flashing lights aimed at keeping wannabes amused.

go for a MK1 locator box, theyre simple and still the best - if yo9u are lucky enough to find one. MK3s are a pile of poo, just a lot of flashing lights aimed at keeping wannabes amused.

what are you on about, the mk3 when you get used to it is far better than the mk1's and im sure plenty of other people will agree. So i asume you had a mk3 when you say a lot of flashy lights keeping wannabes amused??.

stafy-1

Guest houndblair

hi mate were abouts are you in glos im from the forest of dean at the moment iam in the same position as you ferretless although used to do a bit and would like to get back into it you could probally pick a ferret up for about a fiver you would obviously need a hutch a box to take the ferret out in some purse nets a locator and a spade things have probally advanced since i used to go and im a bit rusty but thats the basics hope fully somebody else might chip in with some advice please get back to me with were abouts your at as may be able to set you up with a ferret if your stuck hope this helps

Im more south, Close to Thorbury. I have an old hutch wich is currently lazing around in my chicken unit which could houses a feret or too but i only want as many as ill need!!

Not true sir. :no:

I have the MK 3 and find it simple to use and effective, the rabbits dont seem to notice the lights and beeping. :D;)

Frank.

Guest Lurchers2006

You really only need two ferrets and they will enjoy each others company! I know locators are fantastic piece of kit but if you put bells on the ferrets and stick to small sets you should be ok untill you get your LOCATOR as i did when i started 3 years ago. I have a mk1 and my mate has mk3 i prefer mine but havent used the mk3 as much i couldnt fully say. Hope you get started soon,

Lurchers06

You need 2 ferrets, as there pretty sociable animals, and might be cooped up a lot in summer.

Then you need nets, I preffer hemp ones myself, but theres plenty

of choice, a box or bag for carrying them about, and

if you can stretch to it, a locator is well worth having.

A spade for digging is a must, and a probe is useful too.

As is a flask for coffe ;)

N=Might as well get the newest out, the mk3, as if you havent

used the old mk1, you wont know any diff, and will get used

to what you have, which is a good bit of kit imho.

Edited by Paid
Guest Lurchers2006
bells.......? first iv heard of that mate :clapper:

staffy-1 ;)

Do ye lot not use em? Even with locators we still use them the ones like people somtimes have on cats? But then again all we ferret is ditches which is easier to lose a ferret.

Edited by Lurchers2006

I used bells before I got a locator, helpfull in dense cover, where the ferret mght come up out of sight.

The cat type ones can clog up in dirt though, and go silent, but found some cow bell type ones (small) that didnt clogg up.

Guest craftycarper

i always take some bells with me ferreting, it warms the old cockles as the cold sets in :laugh::laugh: bells on ferts though are only any good when the fert is moving, no good for locating below ground if there's a lay up :(