breeding age

Mate if she is from last years kits she will be coming into season. From what i have read it is un healthy to leave them in season, so you will have to do something about it. If she is six months i dont think she will be in season so there is no way you can breed her. But if she is i dont think it would be very good for her. Mine are a year old and i have bred 1 of my Jills because its my first batch of kits i dont think i would be good enough to rare a couple of litters so im starting off with 1.

A few lads will clear this up for us...

what age is the best to breed ferrets?

just wondering cos iv got a jill that is

six months old and she is prety small

would it be allright to breed her????

thnx steven

#

Hi Steven

As she is only 6 months old, and only one of this years kits she will not come into season until next year.

Jill season can start as early as January, really depends on where you live, last year I heard of jills coming into season before christmas and we had 6 jills in season on 3rd January. We have never had this before.

Most of our jills come into season towards the end of February/early March and can stay in season until late September/early October, this is when the vasectomised hobs come into action, if we dont want to breed from the jills then off they go to the "hoblets".

If you dont want to have kits from your jill then there are other alternatives to breeding her. Try the link below for more info.

http://beehive.thisishull.co.uk/default.as...06&PageID=61116

This is our web site, if you want to us to go through things with you pm me.

Ferret Tamer.