Retrieving

Guest The Hunter

Guest The Hunter

I have been taking my pup out lamping at first when he was catching rabbits he was running off and not bringing them back. Then at the begin of the week I had him out n he took two. First he left where he caught it and left it where he caught it which werent 2 bothering and the second he retrived right back to hand. Of course i was chuffed 2 bits. Then last nite i had him out again just for an hour and he started running off [bANNED TEXT] them again which was really disappointing.

anybody got any idesa which may help.

regards ben

find a nice long alley/corridor that your dog cant get out of, throw a dummy/toy down to the other end of the corridor/alley and stand about 3/4 of the way the other end, your dog should fetch the dummy and try to trot past you. walk backwards slowly calling your dog and when it tries to pass, bend down, stop it passing and praise it, not taking the dummy. still move backwards and when you reach the end, put your hand to the dogs mouth and tell it to drop it, if your dog does, praise it and give it a treat. hope this helps, if you have any trouble pm me and i'll try to help some more.

find a nice long alley/corridor that your dog cant get out of, throw a dummy/toy down to the other end of the corridor/alley and stand about 3/4 of the way the other end, your dog should fetch the dummy and try to trot past you. walk backwards slowly calling your dog and when it tries to pass, bend down, stop it passing and praise it, not taking the dummy. still move backwards and when you reach the end, put your hand to the dogs mouth and tell it to drop it, if your dog does, praise it and give it a treat. hope this helps, if you have any trouble pm me and i'll try to help some more.

Excellent advice! ,The dog has nowhere to go but back to you,I might add its better to have done this and got the dog retreiving consistantlybefore you go out hunting ,but it has to be back to basicsnow.

Guest alastair

had a similar prob with one of mine a while back,i take a rabbit(dead)a throw ut in the garden down me alley way then crouch down a nicely and softly say fetch im or what ever,sometimes he tries to dash past but you blocked him in,then when he brings it i say dead at gently take it off him.then praise him.did this alot when he was a pup,then go on to throwing one down the garden,and finally a live one in the field,better with mixxy so you are close by.also run it solo or they get bad retrievers.im newish to lurchers but this has worked for me.took on an older dog once and it would eat em ,i just walked away in the end it would follow me with it back to the car then drop it,it died in a accident before i could see how it would turn out.

Edited by alastair