Saluki problems

Guest Mass_G3nocide

Guest Mass_G3nocide

As of late my saluki dog is being very distant with me when i take him out he seems to run of alot and plainly ignore my calls for him to come back i have never struck the dog through fear of disheartening him i rarely shout at him he gets alot of work and excersise he has a nice life good food and nice bed and run,Is this usual of saluki dogs??? And has anyone been through this with there dogs is there any way i can gain his respect,I know it sounds silly but he dont seem to "Click" with me like my other dogs...Thanks dan.

Dont get disheartened mate the lads on here gave me some advice on my saluki X, he was the same one brill dog till about 9month old then hes been a right pain ive been trying alsorts to turn him round......but like the lads will tell you go back to basics start again with the recall on a flexi lead, and work with him......at the moment i been tyin mine to a cloths line letting him run to the end then calling him back, if he comes then he gets a treat, if he doent i drag him back, he gets the idea halfway back then runs back to me.......also get yourself a good wistle i didnt know but when you wistle through your lips the sound changes are so fine to you but very different to the dog....with a good wistle the dog hears the very same tone each time ..............its been working with mine very slowly mind but be patiant its very easy to get frustrated and the dog will pick up on this and do a runner.............ive been on the road for over an hour looking for mine...its down to 10 min now and ive got him back. hopfully in the next few weeks i will have cracked it...............hope it helps chris

As of late my saluki dog is being very distant with me when i take him out he seems to run of alot and plainly ignore my calls for him to come back i have never struck the dog through fear of disheartening him i rarely shout at him he gets alot of work and excersise he has a nice life good food and nice bed and run,Is this usual of saluki dogs??? And has anyone been through this with there dogs is there any way i can gain his respect,I know it sounds silly but he dont seem to "Click" with me like my other dogs...Thanks dan.

seen alot of salukis do this!! did you have him from a pup? its hard to get them out of it. i had a dog which done the same, sometimes it would take an hour to catch him. got him as an adult and we just neva clicked.

How old is he?

im having the same problems with my dog hes about the same age ( 9 month ) but hes been like it for a while and is getting worse. we have a good bond and will not leave my side in the house, gets loads of excersise and play, dont really shout at him too much, but outside hes like a different dog and totaly uninterested in me but he has never run off. when he was a pup after his jabs he was really easy to train he would walk to heel off lead retrive to hand no problems and would come when i called him but he just started to piss about

new year new start and hopfully i will get him up to scratch before next season im going to try a long line and treats like somone said and mabey use a whistle

how is your bond with the dog indoors will he come to you ect.

Edited by sambam

What you need to do is , convince the dog he has no choice but to come when called,so the line is the way to go and you do it so often he believes there is no choice. Reward well with a good fuss or play but remember, reward alone only works when he wants whats on offer more than the distraction your calling him away from. Only call him when he's on the line for a month or two , if you do let him off in this period don't call him, be patient and wait till you catch him, because every time you call him and doesn't come you're training him not to come. Hope this helps.

What you need to do is , convince the dog he has no choice but to come when called,so the line is the way to go and you do it so often he believes there is no choice. Reward well with a good fuss or play but remember, reward alone only works when he wants whats on offer more than the distraction your calling him away from. Only call him when he's on the line for a month or two , if you do let him off in this period don't call him, be patient and wait till you catch him, because every time you call him and doesn't come you're training him not to come. Hope this helps.

makes sence that, i didnt relise everytime i called him and he didnt come that i was teaching him not to come

let him know whos boss :)

Guest Mass_G3nocide

He's 15 months old i have had him 3 months now and he has been through some weeks of being a fantastic dog then some other times i have to restrain myself from ringing his neck.I think i'll start from scratch again get him coming back when i call him,Other times when he's being silly i choose to just turn my back on him and ignore him he seems asif he dont like that being Ignored.

Salukis aren't for everyone, there have been a few posts like yours recently. They are great dogs but can be difficult and bloody minded, they are easily offended (I know some of you may scoff but Saluki owners will know what I mean) and sometimes their ears seem to be painted on. I think either you like them or hate them!

I use a gundog whistle to recall mine as she seems to respond better to that than my voice, lots of treats for good behaviour, and if all else fails walk away, as you say they hate to be ignored or think they are missing something. Mine at 16 months has now decided she likes being at the stables so much that she won't get into the car to come home (like a kid at the playpark!), unless we have been there for hours and hours and she is exhausted. So I get into the car and start the engine with the door open and she jumps in like a shot in case I go home without her!

i have kept salukis for a number of yars now and come across this problam often with this breed.i had one dog run off from me on a local park and found it 3 miles away they can be strong minded but dont give up on him mate i got some advice from a bloke that trains gun dogs i did what he said and the dog comes back every time i call him now

good luck

we have a big saluki (my sons ) dog and to be honest we have never had any trouble with him he doesnt retrieve but recall is good, i did have a young pointer that was a bugger when he was that age. they are trying it on really thy are at that stage. what i did with him was use a handful of gravel or car key or news paper coke can anything that i had to hand and if he ignored me a clip on the backside would make him jump and then i offred loads of praise and a tit bit. he came around in the end. Saluki are right soft shites so this should be enough for him to think he is better of coming to you for sympathy. your timing has to be spot on and he cant see you do it or he will take the huff.

i have a cat that is more dog like than the saluki thy are a bit of a weird breed abolutely stunning dog but not my cup of tea i like immeadiate obedience

thats why i have a little kelpie x

but it horses for courses and these beautiful dogs have their uses, never ever hit him though they do poorly with that sort of treatment, i taught ours to heel by tickling his ear when we walked he loved it now the simple big bugger cant get enough of it