snaring in the snow

fox snaring works well. Just watch for the snares getting frozen shut though, so go round before dark and loosen them up. Ware rubber gloves/wellies, so you dont leave scent about the place(with fox snaring anyway). Like i said the only bother is them freezing up.

With fox snaring on the fells, the tracks can be built up with snow to guide the fox through better, saves lots of time looking for a spot with taller cover or brashing in.

Personally id only bother with fence snaring with the bunnies, but im not that experienced or confident in the pegged snares to try in the snow, as I would need the tracks on the ground to work with, and they seem to go everywhere in the snow.

the snow is a great time for snareing it can be used to your advantage. active runs are visible when the snow is on the ground due to the tracks left in the snow some times you will find well used runs tinted yellow where they have been urinating as they go

hope this helps topshot :thumbs:

hi i dont know about fox snaring but snaring in the snow is great for rabbits fences are the best as it can be hard to get pegs into hard ground and we have almost 3 foot of snow here and the peg wont hold in the snow.

give it a go. good luck regards P.

I went around one of my permissions today and placed some fence snares. We got about a foot of snow and every so often, all along the fences there are scrapes where the rabbits have dug down to the grass and made a kinda channel under the fence, by the tracks around these it looks like a lot of rabbits are using the channels . . . . . needles to say i laid the wires and shall see what they yield in the morning.

Two downsides - like the one said not worth snaring public places / places you dont have permission - anyone passing will see your trail (that keep going up to the fence and then moving along) and might take an interest and secondly handing wires in the snow and kneeling down all the time is very cool - wear gloves and waterproofs.

Also often a snowy day leaves a clear bright night and frosty morning - the rabbits stay home a lot more at night and in the morn the frost makes the wire easier to see.

Happy trapping!

Jai

Jai, iv just been putting some rabbit snares out aswell, i can see where they have been going on the fence line and now like you hope to get some in the morning. I also can easily see the fox runs. So tomorrow i will be going back with a few fox snares and putting them down. Hopefully i will get one or two.

Ha Ha - i been thinking the same thing about the fox, there were tracks all over and a heavy smell so tomorrow when i check the rabbits i might set a few! Where abouts in the west are you?

Went to check the snare this morning, nothing in them, looks like a fox has been about. Fox snares are down and now we play the waiting game. Will put a pick up in a mo.

Edited by whippeter69

Heres a picture of where one of my fox snares has been set. It has been set between a stone dry wall, thats obviously, but its has been set there because the fox has been passing from a 13 acre field into a small paddock like field where there is one lone sheep and it does not look in good health. There are good signs that he/she has been using this run, string smell of fox, foot prints in the snow and hair on the wire, so hopefully while he's out looking for meal he'l get more that what he wanted. The snare is connected to the fence post with the snare clip you get when you buy the snare so there's defiantly no getting away if he gets caught in it and my tealer is a 13 inch piece of hazel that i have cut myself, these work a treat but with the hard ground can be a fiddle to get into the ground and sometime snap so always carry a few spare. So tomorrow morning il be there urley, hopefully at first light with the shotgun to have a look and check the snare, wish me luck guys. FoxSnare.jpg

i was out this morning mate and the rabbit track were showing me the most active run's i had set some up and then went home i have just bein out walkin the dog and decided to cheack them on my travles i put 10 down and i had 6 rabbits in them. so i would recomend cheackin for the best run's in the snow.

scott