Permission Help

Guest LancsUK

Guest LancsUK

How do ya think I should go about gettin permission for runnin bunnies with my dog? She is stock broken aswell but every farmer or land owner I ask round my area says "Sorry mate, Weve got someone coming on already" or "There's nothing on my land, Ive culled it all off". Not bein funny but when ive had a sneaky poach its either liftin or theres a few knockin about! I dont mind poachin as I only take what I need and dont damage fencing etc and try 2 cause as less trouble as possible but when they see you knockin about on the fields they always chase ya off. Its pretty lame really cos it gets on my t*ts havin 2 look over ya shoulder all the time when it would be much easier causin no harm.. DOING THE FARMERS A FAVOUR! and enjoying myself. Im a young lad and not many people from the towns my age are into hunting etc anymore and I believe this is one of the reasons why? Also because im not an adult they probs look at me and think im some young t*sser that is clueless as 2 what im after doing.

Cheers, Brad.

mate you just got to keep asking and asking. try starting with just ferreting. ive had no luck here for lamping but through some mates manage to get out ferreting.

Dress smart and go at a good time, i say during the day any thing from tea time onwards is a no no. wouldnt like to interupt when people are relaxing.

Try local farmers markets there is a lad on here who handed out cards and flyers offering free pest control he got a bit of work doing that,

Put flyers up in local butchers that can help.

post letters to all local farms with a self adresed envelope with stamp on.

just keep asking mate hopefully you will hit lucky.

Good luck mate

Thats some spot on advice there "fraggle" good on yer fella.

As he says mate ferreting is by far the best way to get in with a farmer with a rabbit problem as they don't particularly want lads walking their land with guns as it disrupts livestock and most shooting is taken but also they don't realy want lads they don't know walking their property at night wether it be with dogs or whatever.This is a trust thing and farmers don't tend to be the most trusting people on first approach but if you can get in by ferreting and prove yourself this will almost certainly lead to a bit of lamping with your dog when he gets to know you.

Also try offering to do a bit of beating if he's a shooting man or if not a few odd jobs around the place but be sure not to mention that rabbiting is doing him a favour as you have said in your post mate.It may be a true fact in part but I will bet you a pound to a pinch of somthing nasty he wouldn't see it that way and that would almost certainly be the end of that.

Good luck mate

ATB

Just thought I'd give you a bit of advice from a farmers point of view, if I were you I'd stop the sneaky poaching, farmers do notice but we choose not to do anything, having a few rabbits nicked is nothing compared to having your tyres slashed/windows smashed after a confrontation- just to point out I am not in anyway saying thats something you would do, but how are we to know? Also the attitude that you are doing the farmer a favour isn't going to get you anywhere fast, trust me farmers know how much people want land to shoot over and are constantly innundated with requests- looking on it as a mutually beneficial arrangement is a better way to go about it.I can understand how hard it is for dog men especially to get permission thanks to bad press from the like of countryfile and an irresponsible few ruining it for the majority. If it were a few years ago I would of invited you up my way for a crack at the hares!

Guest LancsUK

Cheers lads and ye I know where ya comin from mate. Thing is though because Burnley is a town theres not much countryside about. There's quite a few farms to mooch about on for rabbits and hares but there aint any keepers about with any shoots. I beat on a shoot up Ripon with my Grandad and also just past Lancaster. Ive got permission on a couple of farms but it seems to have become a new craze round ere with the lurchers so alot of young lads are hammerin the sh*t out of everythin and not letting hares or rabbits breed during summer. Anyways i'll give the ferreting a go an keep askin. Once again cheers for the advice, much appreciated.

Guest LancsUK

Btw, Ive asked for permission up Lancaster and Ripon I can go on happily with ferrets but im more of a dog lad myself and would prefer to run her. I sometimes ferret up Yorks with me Gdad and they rejected me with the dog because there are quite a few hares knocking about but believe its cruel to shoot em. I agree though cos the hare is a supreme athlete and deserves alot of respect.