New and need help with dogs!!

Hi everyone

New to this site and as yet not into hunting. However, I am interested in dogs and the different breeds, their abilities, uses and characters etc.

I wondered if there was the ideal 'All Rounder'. A dog that could hunt, kill, retrieve and if need be, become a guard/protective dog as well. I have a ten year old daughter and would like to know which breeds develop strong bonds with their owners and have protective natures?

A cross breed, I guess - a Lurcher type no doubt. in particular I would be keen to understand the mix and why.

At the moment I am interested in Staffies and Patterdales. To the point where I have been looking for a Staffy x Patterdale. However, when I have been searching the add pages, I am coming across a lot of different crosses. Hence my question.

Looking forward to all your advice.

Many thanks in advance

P.S. When I say hunt, I'm thinking of Rabbits and Hares - something that I can eat. Not bothered about Ferreting - yet. Not into Fox hunting either.

Thanks Hagar

Didn't realise Hares were illegal.......I guess their numbers are dwindling?

Not at all mate,hares are more common now than they have been for years.Its a politics thing fella.

Welcome in anyway bud

ATB

Hi everyone

New to this site and as yet not into hunting. However, I am interested in dogs and the different breeds, their abilities, uses and characters etc.

I wondered if there was the ideal 'All Rounder'. A dog that could hunt, kill, retrieve and if need be, become a guard/protective dog as well. I have a ten year old daughter and would like to know which breeds develop strong bonds with their owners and have protective natures?

A cross breed, I guess - a Lurcher type no doubt. in particular I would be keen to understand the mix and why.

At the moment I am interested in Staffies and Patterdales. To the point where I have been looking for a Staffy x Patterdale. However, when I have been searching the add pages, I am coming across a lot of different crosses. Hence my question.

Looking forward to all your advice.

Many thanks in advance

P.S. When I say hunt, I'm thinking of Rabbits and Hares - something that I can eat. Not bothered about Ferreting - yet. Not into Fox hunting either.

you cant go wrong with a saluki whippet greyhound for your first lurcher mate they brilliant. especially for small quarry that you want.