getting lurcher to retreive

i have a collie greyhound that is my lamping dog and ferreting dog i have had her from a pup and i taught her to retreive and she did but she stopped suddenly and she is now 4 any ideas on how i could get her retreiving again as retreiving is very important in a lamping dog any ideas thanks

Mine was an excellent retriever until he was 2 then he stopped, this was mainly due to me getting a Terrier and the competition made him either run off or just give in to the terrier, it also made him hard mouthed.

If you work him alone just go back to basics and make it into a big game.

Dave.

DONT make it in to a game!! Your dog will then think nothing of running away with the catch as it approaches you, and would not understand then why you are telling it off!

Go baCk to basics with your dog. Scrap all your thoughts of how it used to retrieve, they are now gone...Dont put preassure on the dog. Just have it retrieve say 3 to 5 times then leave it that. Then the next time add afew more on.. Start with short retrieves and dont demand it to hand, as long as it brings the item to your area... Then reward a treat! not every time but every other.

Make the retrieves longer each time you go out. Always offer the dog your hand but never force..Its a colliex so it does have the brains. Be calm but be slow. If it doesnt want to do it, just walk away, and wait for a while. If it isnt into retrieveing that certain day, dont worry. Try the next... Try to find something that the dog likes. "a ball" "teddie" etc, until you finally work it on to a rabbit skin. I know its a drag but persivere and you may get your rewards. Dogs get set in there ways and it could be difficult.... dont plat games with it, once you chase the dog your in the shit...

And never ever force it!!

Russ.

DONT make it in to a game!! Your dog will then think nothing of running away with the catch as it approaches you, and would not understand then why you are telling it off!

Go baCk to basics with your dog. Scrap all your thoughts of how it used to retrieve, they are now gone...Dont put preassure on the dog. Just have it retrieve say 3 to 5 times then leave it that. Then the next time add afew more on.. Start with short retrieves and dont demand it to hand, as long as it brings the item to your area... Then reward a treat! not every time but every other.

Make the retrieves longer each time you go out. Always offer the dog your hand but never force..Its a colliex so it does have the brains. Be calm but be slow. If it doesnt want to do it, just walk away, and wait for a while. If it isnt into retrieveing that certain day, dont worry. Try the next... Try to find something that the dog likes. "a ball" "teddie" etc, until you finally work it on to a rabbit skin. I know its a drag but persivere and you may get your rewards. Dogs get set in there ways and it could be difficult.... dont plat games with it, once you chase the dog your in the shit...

And never ever force it!!

Russ.

thanks alot for the idea but she isnt interested in anything like balls or teddys unless it is alive any ideas on what i could use to get her interest thanks alot