my bull x right or wrong

ive bin reading a few things on here and im shockd how so many people start there dogs at diffrent ages im not being big headed im just saying i work a bullx and hes 18months and he has had a bit of every thing 2 b fair not constantly but has had his fair share but a few people dont even start there dogs til 15 16 months old any views lads happy hunting

depends what the dog is going to be working and also the breed of dog for a lamp dog lets say a collie x id start mine around 12 month old but only if the basic training i.e jumping,retriveing is all up to scrach.the key is takeing your time and getting to no your dog some breeds mature quicker than others if you now your dog then you will no the right time to enter it.time and patients is wots needed.some dogs will make the grade and others wont BUT YOU ONLY GET OUT WHAT YOU PUT IN. thats my opinion anyway A.T.B :thumbs:

Edited by lurcherman

My whippet (mixed with a slight bit of bull) suffered a wrist injury when turning at speed at 11 months. He ripped a ligament off the bone. The young bones weren’t hard enough to take the strain of turning at speed. That was back in July - I’m taking him back to the vet in the new year to see if he is ready to start again. You won’t physically harm a dog by holding him back but you might if you start him early. Stick to a few easy ones every now and then with a young dog and give him plenty of time to mature

Eamonn

my lurcher (first experience with a lurcher) was not even remotely interested in chasing anything until he reached around 12 months. I thought I bought a dud and only now at around 14 months is he starting to put on a bit of muscle bulk in his hind legs. He has had a couple of bunnies now which is fab progress. He's getting better all the time and quicker. So i think its good to try and introduce them slowly at a young age but don't go too crazy till they are physically mature enough in case of injury. Probably 15-16 months is a good age where they are "physically" ready to start hard running. My experience now tells me its just a waiting game and a case of being patient.